From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry Books & Music
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:32:28 -0400
To: <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Salutations!

downloadNo, we haven't changed our name, but there are so many music events in the month of August we had to call your attention to it.  Have you been to the LitArts room lately?  We had great turn-outs for Ted Steinberg's book signing, and the Edie Carey concert, and the energy in that room is great.  Hope you can come check it out!  Click on the icon to the left to download this newsletter in a handy pdf easy-to-print format (so you can tell your friends!).

Exciting recent acquisitions
nature alcove

  • We've rearranged the natural history and architecture & design sections.  Why move the books around?  'Cause it looks great, makes sense, and is now better organized.  Come see...
  • lots of excellent poetry, poetry, poetry
  • a signed, limited, leatherbound set of Rafael Sabatini
  • a whole estate of coffee table art, gardening and interior design books
  • Alfred Stieglitz's book of photographs of Georgia O'Keefe
  • a CIM professor's library of music history and theory
  • is it possible the best greeting card selection in Cleveland just got better?  It's possible.

Book Signing
Shaker HeightsBruce Marshall, Shaker Heights (Images of America)
Saturday, August 19, 1-3pm
Our own Shaker Heights achieved international renown in the early 20th century as an enclave for wealthy residents—a city of stunning homes, substantial green space, an excellent school system, and attentive municipal services. Cleveland entrepreneurs O. P. and M. J. Van Sweringen established Shaker Heights as a haven from the stresses of city life and claimed a connection with previous residents of this land, the North Union settlement of Shakers. Shaker communities sought to create paradise on earth by living communally and focusing on the life of the spirit. Buyers in Shaker Heights were assured that their paradise would last forever because of restrictions on what could be built and who could live there. Nevertheless, Shaker Heights has changed from a protected environment for the wealthy to a stable, integrated city that intentionally promotes diversity in its population. This is a remarkable story of dramatic change but also continuity as residents pursue the goal of creating an ideal community.
Arcadia Publishing, 07/26/2006,  128 pages, $19.99

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month
Stump the BooksellerQ15: Queen Ann's Lace
I am going to give you what I know about the story. It was read to me in the 50's or early 60's. It was a story about how the flower Queen Ann's Lace came to be. I do not remember very much except a witch was trying to get a girl (princess, maybe). Somehow white flowers grew up and trapped her. If  you look at the flower Queen Ann's Lace you will see a little black speck in the middle. This represents the witch amid a sea of white flowers. That is why Queen's Ann's Lace blooms with the back speck in the middle.  Every year about this time when it blooms I am reminded of this story. Please help me locate this fairy tale or folk lore story. No one seems to remember it but me.

Concerts

Pamela MeansPamela Means
Friday, August 4, 8pm
Pamela Means is a Boston-based Out (spoken), Biracial indie folk artist whose "kamikaze guitar style" and punchy provocative songs have worn a hole in her guitar.  Armed with razor wit poetry and irresistable charm, Pamela Means' "stark, defiant songs" (New York Times Magazine) set the status quo and the stage afire.  Tickets: $10 in advance / $12 at the door

Quercus is latin for oakRita de Quercus
Saturday, August 5, 8pm
Rita de Quercus (known as Rita Coriell when she lived in Cleveland) has been writing songs and singing them for over 40 years. Her music is eclectic, covering a wide range of themes and styles. Her songs are generally poetic with extensive use of natural imagery and metaphors, and often humorous.  Rita will accompany herself on guitar in the relaxed and intimate Loganberry Books.  Suggested Donation: $10

Gene's Jazz HotGene's Jazz Hot
Thursday, August 17, 6-8pm
jazz quartet CD release party
Gene’s Jazz Hot is hosting a party in celebration of its first CD release. This popular quartet plays seriously happy, swinging music twice monthly at Cafe Limbo on Larchmere Blvd., performing for art openings, benefits and concerts, and appearing on Channel 8 Fox TV’s morning show. The CD Release Party, which is free and open to all, will feature live music between 6:30 and 7:30, and refreshments. CDs will be available for purchase ($15 each) and autographing.

Carrie CheronCarrie Cheron
Friday, August 25, 8pm
The lovely, lilting voice of Boston-based singer/songwriter Carrie Cheron is an art-form all to itself. With a sound that is as warm and rich as velvet, this gifted songwriter and master song interpreter is absolutely mesmerizing.  Following the release of her debut full-length cd, One More Autumn, Carrie brings her charm to the midwest and promises to captivate the crowd amongst the books at Loganberry.  Tickets:  $10 in advance, $12 at the door

~~  ~~ ~~

Gaming Girls
dominoesThursday, August 10, 7pm
Second Thursday Game Night continues.  Mexican Train, a version of dominoes, is the current game of choice.  We seem to be on the cutting edge here:  there was a national competition held in Cleveland last month with high stakes and huge winners, but no contestants from Cleveland!  Well.  Just wait 'til the next competition....

Annex Gallery
Jeffrey DavisJeffrey Davis: Fine Nature Photography
Opening Reception:
Thursday, August 3, 6-8pm
Jeffrey Davis takes photographs up-close-and-personal.  His subjects are in our own backyards and parks, but with such amazing clarity and magnification that they take on new meanings.  His love for color, texture, and juxtaposition will make you smile and wish for summer to continue forever, even in the dog days of August.  These beautiful images are made even more luxurious by Jeffrey's exquisite use of multiple mattes and fancy edging.  Show continues through September 4.

I hope to see you browsing at Loganberry soon!

peace,
Harriett

Loganberry Books
13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800
Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/

Image
Image