From: Loganberry Books <loganberrybooks@gmail.com>
Subject: Loganberry News October 2023
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 15:13:40 +0000
To: Harriett Logan <books@logan.com>
Loganberry News October 2023

shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News October 2023

We're still buzzing from another wonderful Cleveland Book Week--especially Lit Cle Inkubator, where we loved seeing so many of you at all the free classes, workshops, and talks. (Though all the fun isn't over yet: You can still catch the livestream of the Ainsfield-Wolf award ceremony on September 28th!).

A focus on books is a great thing to take into the longer nights ahead. We've got many events (both daytime and nightime!) this month celebrating authors both local and from afar, and some creepy story recommendations from booksellers at the end of this newsletter. The darker season is always less scary when we're sharing it with you.

Author Events

LV-Umrigar-Museum

Thrity Umrigar: The Museum of Failures
Wednesday, October 4, 7pm
~at the Parma-Snow Branch of the Cuyahoga County Public Library~
Join Loganberry, Cuyahoga County Public Library, and Cleveland Book Week for the national launch of award-winning author Thrity Umrigar's new book, The Museum of Failures. Thrity Umrigar will be in conversation with Anisfield-Wolf Book Award winner Karan Mahajan, author of The Association of Small Bombs.

Click here to preorder a signed copy of the book!

Remy Wadia left India for the USA long ago, carrying resentment of his mother with him. He returns to Bombay to adopt a baby—and to see his ill elderly mother for the first time in several years. At his mother's house, Remy stumbles on an old photograph and shocking long-held family secrets surface. As the secrets unravel, Remy finds himself reevaluating his entire childhood, his relationship to his parents, and his harsh judgment of the decisions and events long hidden from him. But most of all, he must learn to forgive others for their failures and human frailties.

Thrity Umrigar, Distinguished University Professor of English at Case Western Reserve University, is the best-selling author of many novels, a memoir, and three children’s picture books. She is winner of the Cleveland Arts Prize, a Lambda Literary award and the Seth Rosenberg prize, as well as a recipient of the Nieman Fellowship to Harvard.

This event is free, but registration is required. Click here for more information.

24

Lit Cleveland

Athena Dixon: The Loneliness Files
Chris Bachelder & Jennifer Habel: Dayswork
Monday, October 9, 7pm
~in-store~
The Plum City Reading Series is Literary Cleveland's soon-to-be regular reading series bringing the country's most interesting and groundbreaking authors to Cleveland!

The first event, hosted at Loganberry, will feature readings by Athena Dixon, author of the new work of creative nonfiction The Loneliness Files and Chris Bachelder & Jennifer Habel, authors of the new novel Dayswork (W.W. Norton).

In The Loneliness Files, Athena Dixon invites us to consider what it means to be a body behind a screen, lost in the hustle of an online world. In our age of digital hyper-connection, she interrogates this question with depth, heart, and ferocity, investigating the gaps that technology cannot fill and confronting a lifetime of loneliness.

Writers and married couple Chris Bachelder & Jennifer Habel have cowritten Dayswork, a startlingly original novel about a woman who spends her time sorting fact from fiction in the life and work of Herman Melville: his impulsive purchase of a Massachusetts farmhouse, his fevered revision of Moby-Dick there, his intense friendship with neighbor Nathaniel Hawthorne, and his troubled and troubling marriage to Elizabeth Shaw.

The reading will be immediately followed by an afterparty at the Literary Cleveland Offices across the street from Loganberry (13002 Larchmere). In keeping with Lit Cle's mission to ensure diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility, the registration fee for this event is "Pay What You Can."

9780358393269

Wesley Lowery: American Whitelash
Monday, October 16, 7pm
~at Main Branch - Shaker Heights Public Library~
Meet Shaker grad, Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter, and best-selling author Wesley Lowery at the Shaker Heights Public Library. Wesley will be discussing and signing copies of his most recent book is American Whitelash: a Changing Nation and the Cost of Progress. This new book confronts the sickness at the heart of American society: cyclical patterns of violence that mar every moment of racial progress in this country, and whose bloodshed began anew following Obama's 2008 election.

Copies of this book and his previous title, They Can't Kill Us All: The Story of the Struggle for Black Lives will be available for sale and for signing.

Order a signed copy to pick up or have mailed!

LV-Pellegrino-xmas

Danny Pellegrino: The Jolliest Bunch
Wednesday, October 18, 7pm
~at House of Blues Cleveland~
For many families, the holiday season is—quite frankly—unhinged. Whether that involves inappropriately improvised monologues at the children's Christmas pageant, gifts that land someone in the emergency room, or just sitting through the emotional rollercoaster of a Hallmark movie marathon, the holidays are a chaotic and magical time.

For Danny Pellegrino, New York Times-bestselling author of How Do I Un-Remember This? and host of the podcast Everything Iconic, the holidays are always accompanied by both merriment and mayhem. The Jolliest Bunch takes readers on a nostalgic trip through Danny's most festive memories in a collection of stories that are heartfelt, hilarious, and (unfortunately) true.

This is a ticketed event. One book included with each ticket purchase - buy tickets now!

Local Voices

LV-Mengay-Undoing

Donald Mengay: The Lede to Our Undoing
Thursday, October 19, 6pm
~in-store~
1970s rust-belt America. The era of civil rights, women's rights, and gay rights, as well as the birth of the environmental movement. Twins Jake and Wren are raised in the white-flight suburb of Laurentine, not far from an industrial metropolis that was named in a much greener time the Forest City. The twin's parents are doing their best to keep their offspring on the straight and narrow. But the two are not very good at coloring inside the lines. The family story is told by the family mutt, Molly, whose outsider status offers the reader a unique view on human foibles, and prejudice.

Join Donald Mengay as he returns to his childhood neighborhood to discuss his debut novel!

LV-Invisible-Soul-Wolff

Carlo Wolff: Invisible Soul
Sunday, October 29, 1pm
~in-store~
In the second half of the 20th century, in a neighborhood of clubs, theaters, and dives, Black club owners, entertainers, and audiences found security and joy in the throb of some of America’s most authentic music. The scene was sweaty, smoky, and sexy. From dusk to dawn, across three decades, the streets swayed to the sound of soul. And then it was gone. Invisible Soul tells stories of a boisterous, ballsy, bawdy time when entertainers and audiences brought heart and soul to this corner of the city.

Carlo Wolff contributes to the jazz magazine, DownBeat, he is the author of Cleveland Rock & Roll Memories, lead author of Mike Belkin: Socks, Sports, Rock and Art, and co-writer of Designing Victory and The Encyclopedia of Record Producers.

Book Clubs & Discussion Groups

willowhall

For the Thrill of Lit Book Club

The Witch of Willow Hall by Hester Fox
Thursday, October 19, 7pm
~in-store and online~
For the Thrill of Lit meets bi-monthly on the third Thursday of the month in rotation with Queer Book Club, both in-store and via Zoom*.

October's pick is _The Witch of Willow Hall_ by Hester Fox, a Gothic thriller and romance, perfect for Spooooky Season!

A family scandal forces a young woman and her sisters and parents to move from Boston to a small village where Willow Hall awaits them. Almost immediately, strange events occur and the young protagonist suspects that terrible things have taken place around her family's new home. Her discoveries about the house and herself lead her through a journey of family chaos.

*Registration is required for the Zoom portion of the meeting before 6 pm on the day of the meeting.

Buy a copy of the book for 10% off!

UP NEXT:
November 16 - Queer Book Club: The Sex Lives of African Women by Nana Darkoa Sekyiamah

9780807006474

Murmurations Yoga Book Club

You Just Need to Lose Weight by Aubrey Gordon
Friday, October 27, 6pm
~in-person at Abide Yoga~
Our neighbors at Abide Yoga (2 doors down from us on Larchmere) host Murmurations, a monthly hybrid yoga class and book club, and we offer participants 10% off featured titles!

In You Just Need to Lose Weight, Aubrey Gordon equips readers with the facts and figures to reframe myths about fatness in order to dismantle the anti-fat bias ingrained in how we think about and treat fat people.

Register for the book club and yoga class!

Order a copy of the book from Loganberry for mailing or store pickup for 10% off!

Community Arts & Culture

IMG 9172

Annex Gallery

We're already getting ready for Otis' Old Curiosity Shop, our giftshop that pops up in the Annex Gallery every holiday season. But for now, stop by to find some decidedly spooky offerings of Halloween decor, like Creepy Carrots and Blood-Curdling Beets, pictured here!

broadsides-lg

Broadsides & Ephemera

Featured Reader: Judith Mansour
Thursday, October 12, 7pm
~in-store; second Thursdays~
Judith Mansour taught English at Cleveland State University, worked as editor and associate publisher for Northern Ohio Live Magazine, senior editor for Angle, and publisher for Fresh Water Cleveland. During her tenure as executive director at The LIT: Cleveland’s Literary Center, which sadly closed in 2011, she conceived of MUSE magazine which spotlighted the interplay of words and images. She currently works as Chief Advancement Officer at Beaumont School in Cleveland Heights. Kan Zaman, published by Crisis Chronicles Press, is her first full collection of poetry and prose.

We hope you'll join us for this special reading and literary gathering, free and open to all.

TGP LogoUpdate horiz-full-color 300

Community Fundraiser

The Gathering Place
Saturday, October 21, 2023
~in-store and online~
The Gathering Place's mission is to support, educate and empower individuals and families currently coping with cancer's impacts through programs and services provided free of charge.

We'll be raising money to support their work this month. In addition to a collection jar at checkout, we'll set aside 10% of all sales on Saturday, October 21 both in-store and online. We hope you'll join us in supporting their work!

Vesalius

NOBS Forum

Cleveland's Doctors and Their Books
Thursday, October 26, 7pm
~in-store and online~
In this month’s Forum, Jim Edmonson, PhD, Emeritus Chief Curator of the Dittrick Medical History Center, will explore the Cleveland Medical Library Association’s rare book collection at the Allen Memorial Medical Library. The CMLA collection began with the 1893 gift of a rare medical book, a 1555 edition of Vesalius’ anatomy classic De Humani Corporis Fabrica, and today contains a plethora of rare illustrated medical texts, including several incunabula. We’ll have the opportunity to preview some stunning photographs taken by Laura Travis, which will soon be featured in a forthcoming volume, Masterworks of Medicine: Selections from the Rare Book Collection of the Cleveland Medical Library Association.

For those who prefer, you may join us via Zoom here.

haunted-house

Larchmere Family Fall Festival

Saturday, October 28, 2023, 10am-6pm
~annual~
Happy Halloween! This last Saturday of October is Candy Run day on Larchmere: that means candy for anyone in costume at participating locations, including at Loganberry! You can also register at Fiddlehead Gallery at 12736 Larchmere for the street-wide Cornhole Competition with cash prizes.

At Loganberry, we invite you to our Spooky Scavenger Hunt designed for little folks, with clues to lead them to the various favors & treats hidden in the stacks of books. Who knows what surprises you'll find between the volumes?

Sales, Specials, and FYIs

download

On Sale This Month

During the month of October, we're featuring 20% off all books in the Mystery and Thriller section! This means everything from hardboiled noir to spy thrillers to cozy classics--something to suit almost anyone wanting to know whodunit!

image0.jpeg

Collectible Books for Any Budget

This month we're featuring a 1st edition of William Steig’s first book for children, Roland the Minstrel Pig, published by Windmill Press in 1968.

New Yorker cartoonist Robert Kraus founded Windmill Press, with Roland as one of his first releases. In short order, the press was winning awards, including the 1970 Caldecott Medal for Steig’s Sylvester and the Magic Pebble.

Browse our ever-expanding collectible listings here, or email wendy@logan.com for a personalized suggestion for any budget!

IMG 9175

Great Gifts

SoulKu, a mom-founded, mom-run company based in Asheville NC, makes jewelry with precious healing stones and imbued with love and positive energy. The bracelets and necklaces bring your gift-giving a powerful sense of meaning and inspiration--and we've got lots of new designs in stock!

64fdc0cd84df37be08c4f9926cf9faca

Used Book Buying

Mondays and Fridays are our buying days, but please call us before you come in. As usual, we offer cash or 20% more in store credit for used and collectible books that we deem saleable, and you'll need to take away any we decline to purchase. You can find more details about our buying procedures here. We look forward to seeing your treasures!

Please note that Friday, October 13, will be our last used book buying day of 2023. (Select appointments for collectible books may be available in November and December; please write to Leigh@logan.com with details about your collection.)

We'll resume regular used book buying again in early 2024 once holiday festivities have passed!

469-4698575 tall-stack-of-books-transparent-hd-png-download

Bulk Order Discounts

Does your church, synagogue, school, book club, or company need to order 10 or more copies of a book for a group read or special event? Order from Loganberry and receive a discount! We can even deliver to your location free of charge! Contact elisabeth@logan.com for more details!

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455
▪ Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
▪ Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
▪ Loganberry Curated Reads: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
▪ Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
▪ Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm.
▪ Social Media: **Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and the Loganberry Blog.**
Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
Loganberry Curated Reads: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm.
Social Media: **Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and the Loganberry Blog.**

Read Scary Stories along with our booksellers!

Click any title below to purchase a book for mailing or in-store pickup

9780756418267

Harriett recommends Shigidi and the Brass Head of Obalufon by Wole Talabi: "Sometimes, the god of nightmares has a bad day. You probably don't want to be around for that. Revenge on the Orisha spirit company for keeping him in contractual bondage might even be in order, despite his low prayer revenues. With a mashup flavor evocative of American Gods by Neil Gaiman and The City We Became by N.K. Jemisin, this spirited romp brings horror, humor, and a thrilling heist in its multi-era, multi-world adventures. Sometimes, the god of nightmares has a passionate heart too. You might want to be around for that."

81a6yCSgeDL. AC UF1000 1000 QL80

Rachel recommends Empire of the Vampire by Jay Kristoff: "In a world where decades have passed without a single sunrise, vampires have nearly managed to extinguish all human resistance. Gabriel, the only remaining member of his vampire-thwarting order, has been captured and relates his harrowing, intricate story to his captor--and to readers. Dark, bloody, and full of classic horror themes, Empire of the Vampire is a page-turning, carefully plotted vampire story. And it's only the first installment! Book 2 is set to be released this coming year."

9781250860958

Devon recommends Veniss Underground by Jeff VanderMeer: This is one of those books that makes your skin crawl, yet you find yourself unable to set it down. From humans Nicholas and Nicola to the talking animals living in their childhood home, there are a number of colorful, and at times monstrous, characters featured who are attempting to survive in this urban wasteland. VanderMeer manages to hit on social status, class, climate disaster, and the threat of bioengineering in this visceral adventure.

9780307594143

Elisabeth recommends I Am Homeless If This is Not My Home by Lorrie Moore: "I'm not sure why I resisted the Lorrie Moore Fan Club for so long--maybe I just tend to look askance at Fan Clubs? But thanks in large part to the beguiling cover design on her newest book, I was convinced to read and join the club. Perhaps you'd like to join to? This haunting zombie-story-meets-legend-of-Orpheus-retelling is something I never could have imagined before reading it, but was utterly captivated by. (Content warning for suicide which is very central to the plot but not mentioned on the publisher's description!)"

9780063291027

Leigh recommends A Good House for Children by Kate Collins: "A quietly creepy dual-timeline novel which follows two different women as they live in the same strangely sinister house, decades apart. The house itself becomes a character in the story as the women perceive strange happenings and feel the house has its own motivations!"

9781250751362

Wendy recommends Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo: "Plunged into the secret societies of Yale, where members dabble in forbidden magic and sinister occult activities, freshman Galaxy "Alex" Stern contends with dark forces that challenge her to face her past and confront her unwanted ability to see dead people. Both Ninth House and its sequel Hell Bent are dark academia at its best and will have readers sleeping with their lights on!"

710xKt9hpXL. AC UF1000 1000 QL80

Toni recommends: Killingly by Katharine Beutner: "This book has haunted me since I first read it in February and through a second reading in June. Beutner probes the perils of young womanhood at the turn of the 20th century in a story based on the real life unsolved disappearance of a Mt. Holyoke student in 1897. Bertha, who is missing, and her best friend, Agnes, are smart and ambitious, outsiders even at college. Beutner artfully subverts the reader's expectations again and again in this slow burning novel of secrets, love, sadness, and beauty."

Coming next month:

Book recommendations for Native American Heritage Month

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries

▪ Open Mon-Wed & Fri: 10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
▪ Masks recommended
▪ It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!
Open Mon-Wed & Fri: 10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
Masks recommended
It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!

Like   Tweet