From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Happy Halloween from Loganberry Books
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:14:02 -0500
To: <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Happy Halloween!

From one holiday to another, and they keep on rolling on through 'til the end of the year...  We're getting ready here at Loganberry, in proper chronological order, thank heavens.  In rare form, I decided to list the newsletter events in chronological order too.  Let the festivities begin, with some candy corn! Enjoy!

Exciting recent acquisitions
Adri

  • signed copies of Adriana Trigiani's new novel, Home to Big Stone Gap
  • a nice assortment of 2007 Calendars
  • Marguerite deAngeli's 1954 classic Mother Goose
  • a beautiful blue leather set of Balzac
  • Annie Leibovitz's A Photographer's Life
  • Great greeting cards for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas...
  • fabulous old kids books, as usual
  • The Mysterious Stranger by Mark Twain and illustrated by N.C. Wyeth, 1916
Annex Gallery
camels on carpetsDede Moore
The Return of the Flying Carpets
Thursday, November 2, 5-8pm
Long-time dealer and expert in Oriental Rugs, Dede Moore returns to the Annex Gallery with a treasure trove of woven art and Turkish treats.  Dede has a knack for turning any space into a rich and colorful delight; her Gallery show last year was noted as a fantasical journey to another world.  Come experience the magic, and take a piece home with you.  Or perhaps the magic carpets will offer you a ride?  The Cleveland Rug Society will have a meeting here too, on November 12th (ask for more info).  Dede's show continues through December 4.

Game Night
dominoesThursday, November 9, 7pm
Our appreciation for dominoes continues here.  If you haven't learned the game Mexican Train yet, perhaps it's time to learn?  Don't worry; it's not horribly complicated.  But it's a good game, so come join us...

N.O.B.S. Forums
Robert JacksonRobert H. Jackson
Book Talks:  Some Reflections on assembling a book

Thursday, November 16, 7pm
Join us for a conversation with Cleveland collector and international bibliophile Robert Jackson as he shares stories about assembling his latest book, Book Talk. Following in the tradition of John Carter, Graham Pollard, and Michael Sadlier, Book Talk: Essays on Books, Booksellers, Collecting and Special Collections takes the reader on a tour of some major ideas and controversies now current in the rare book world. Robert Jackson has assembled these writings of an eminent group of scholors, publishers, librarians, booksellers, and collectors that address issues facing contemporary society. Topics such as the future of the book in a printed-format, the internet and collecting trends are some of the issues discussed. This important work belongs on the reading list of all book lovers.  Book signing to follow the lecture.
Author bio:  Robert Jackson is a senior partner at Kohrman Jackson & Krantz P.L.L., Cleveland, Ohio, and is a noted speaker and writer of and about rare books, literature and travel.  Recently he traveled to Greenland on a film trip to record the life of Rockwell Kent.  His article about Kent will appear shortly in Fine Books and Collections.  A member of the Rofant Club, Mr. Jackson is involved as trustee or officer of many non-profit organizations.
Free to NOBS members, $3 non-members.

http://www.nobsweb.org/

Holiday Decorating Party
Saturday, November 18, 5-10pm
Yes, I need help, it's a big place!  But I'll make it worth your while with food, drink, merriment, first crack at holiday books, cards and calendars, gift certificates and goody bags.  So come help me hang some purple ornaments, have fun, and use that gift certificate to cross someone off your holiday gift list early.
Note that Thanksgiving begins our Extended Holiday Hours:  Thursdays and Fridays 'til 8pm, and Sundays 1-5pm from Thanksgiving 'til Christmas.

33rd Annual Larchmere Holiday Stroll
Mr. JingelingFriday, November 24, 11am-8pm
Saturday, November 25, 11am-5pm

Sunday, November 26, 1-5pm
Now in its third decade, the Larchmere Holiday Stroll is the perfect holiday shopping event.  The 50 locally-owned, independent shops and services that make their home on Larchmere Boulevard create an old world shopping village in a real world neighborhood, making it not just a shopping extravaganza, but a pleasant afternoon stroll.  Entertainment throughout the weekend will be provided by several Cleveland Heights High chamber ensembles, Sylvia Perry's Heritage Chorale, and Cleveland icon Mr. Jingeling, celebrating his 50th anniversary with a visit to Larchmere on Friday, 1-3pm.  If you're seeking something original and unique for this year's gift giving, be sure to make Larchmere a shopping destination.

Dunham Tavern Antiques Show
Dunham TavernSaturday Nov. 25, 2006; 11am-5pm
Sunday Nov. 26, 2006; 11am-4pm
The best, and longest-running, antiques show in town (this is 111st show!).  Come find fabulous furniture, china, glass, silver, quilts, jewelery, prints, and, yes, even some books.  Join us at the Shaker Heights Bryon Middle School at Shaker Blvd. and Warrensville Center Road.

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month
Stump the BooksellerF253: Farmer flies into clouds to make them rain
My father remembers a favorite book from his childhood that I hope to find for him.  It was part of a mobile library when he was in grade school (1950-1956).  I only know the plot which is as follows:  A young boy (who I believe lives on the farm) watches the farmer (possibly the boy's father)tend to his crops.  His crops need to be watered and it has not rained in a while.  So the farmer flies his plane over the fields that need rain...cutting holes in the clouds.  The boy goes out to the field after and discovers raindrops on the fences that have been cut.  Instead of being tear shaped the cut raindrops have a flat edge.

I hope to see you browsing at Loganberry soon!

peace,
Harriett

Loganberry Books
13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

H O U R S
Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; most Thursdays til 8pm
Closed Thanksgiving day.
Holiday Hours (Thanksgiving thru Christmas):  Thursdays and Fridays til 8pm; Sundays 1-5pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/

Image
Image
Image