From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry Books welcomes December
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 15:49:42 -0500
To: <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Salutations!

Well, here it is December already.  If you're looking for out-of-print books for someone special this holiday season, be sure to let us know soon so we can do our homework and find some gems for you (on our shelves or elsewhere, that is).  And by all means, come browse our 70,000+ volumes ~ we even decorated and cleaned up, so we're looking pretty spifty, if I do say so myself.   Complimentary gift wrapping!

Exciting recent acquisitions
Animal Farm

  • first American edition of Orwell's Animal Farm
  • a beatuiful blue leather set of Balzac
  • large collection of dinosaur books
  • a signed copy of Antwone Fisher's Finding Fish
  • huge inventory of kids classics in new gift-giving editions
  • Fly Away, Watchbird by Munro Leaf, 1941

Folktale CD Signing
Tell me a StorySaturday, December 9, 1-3pm
Amy Friedman, Tell Me a Story
Eight magical folktales by Amy Friedman, read by eight of stage and screen's most talented actors, with music by renowned composer Laura Hall and directed by Lori Ada Jaroslow, will delight listeners from 5 to 95. From the banks of the mighty Mississippi to a sparkling stream in Kyoto, from the misty moors of Scotland to Africa's folktale forests, you'll be transported as legendary heroes, mythical maidens and talented tricksters weave their magic. The compilation is funny, wise, and richly compelling. Winner of the 2006 National Parenting Publications Awards (NAPPA) and the 2006 Parents' Choice Silver Honor Award.  Come meet nationally syndicated columnist Amy Friedman, hear some tales, and buy the CD for all the kids on your shopping list.

Gaming Girls
dominoesThursday, December 14, 7pm
It's busy December, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take time out for yourself.  Nothing like a good game of dominoes to whittle the pressures of the day away, and perhaps some hot cider will help remind you of seasons of joy.  Come share in the game, and enjoy the good company of the game.

Bloomsday Book Club
JJIt's time.  Start planning your new year's resolution now and join us for a book club devoted to the last novel written by James Joyce, the legendary Finnegans Wake.  Yes, we know you're a bit daunted by a book best read next to an unabridged dictionary and annotated guides, but we also know you've always wanted to read one of the most reknown and respected works in the English language.  We'll tackle it slowly, some ten pages at a time, and discuss it at length at monthly meetings, starting in January.  Let me know if you're interested in joining the group, or watch this e-newsletter for more information.

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month
Stump the BooksellerG365: Greek Juke Box
The book I am looking for was a favorite of mine as a child (in the 70's). It was purchased in either Australia or England.  The story is set in Greece by the sea and is about a brother and sister whose father (i think) plays music in a tavern.  The owner buys a juke box (called a Rock ola, I think) and at first everyone thinks it's great because it plays all night without getting tired and needing a break.  However, as the story goes on they can't turn the jukebox off and the town grows tired of hearing it.  They finally thow it into the ocean and then the musician starts playing again and everyone is happy.  The book is richly illustrated.

N.O.B.S. Forums
Thursday, December 21, 7pm
Show and Tell Session
Bring your biblio treasures and tell us their stories…  then hear what the local experts, dealers, and afficianados think.   Just in time for the holidays!  Bought something great for your partner?  Learn more about it before the presentation day.  And crow a little about your great find with those who love a good story, and especially, a good book.
  Free to NOBS members, $3 non-members.   http://www.nobsweb.org/

Loganberry Book Club
Started over a decade ago at the request of a friend with out-of-state grandchildren, this book-of-the-month club continues as a favorite holiday gift idea.  With some basic pointers and guidelines from you, Loganberry Books can create a customized book club membership catered to the reading level, interests, and quirks of your loved ones (or, um, yourself).  Three tiers of membership provide the price range and book quality you seek.  A book arrives every month, wrapped in pretty purple paper.  From out-of-print classic picture books to paperback mysteries, and new board books to illustrated gardening books, let Loganberry surprise you or your nearest and dearest with a new reading adventure each month.  It's the gift that keeps on giving.  http://www.loganberrybooks.com/bookclub.html

Annex Gallery
John CaryThursday, December 7
The Antique Maps of John Cary and Alvin Jewitt Johnson
John Cary (1754-1835) began work as an engraver and set up business in London as a map publisher. He became one of the most prolific mapmakers of his time and was the first engraver to produce maps of utility by breaking the trend of highly decorative maps. Cary produced his maps for reference and practical use, compared to many of his predecessors whose maps had been produced as much as for works of art as for geographical reference. Alvin Jewitt Johnson (1830s-1880s) followed in the footsteps of mapmakers like Cary and Colton, producing high-quality and useful maps and atlases.  Examples of both their work will on display and for sale in the Annex Gallery during December, many beautifully framed.  Show continues through December 30.

I hope to see you browsing at Loganberry soon!

peace,
Harriett

Loganberry Books
13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

H O U R S
Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; most Thursdays til 8pm
Holiday Hours:  Thursdays and Fridays til 8pm; Sundays 1-5pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/

Image
Image
Image