From: Harriett Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: ...many a book at Loganberry Books...
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 18:25:08 -0500
To: LoganberryNews@logan.com <LoganberryNews@logan.com>

Salutations!

Sometimes it’s hard to remember everything on your calendar.  And you certainly don’t want to miss the new book club or the Edible Books Festival!  That’s why we’re including pdf.gifpdf files of our events this month.  Just click on the symbol and print out your own flyer.  Better yet, post it at your workplace or favorite coffee hangout.  Hope to see you soon!

Recent Acquisitions
Boxes full of new acquisitions, including lots of important books on archaeology, history and art are slowly being unpacked and priced for sale.  Here are a few examples that are ready now:

  • otis-ladder-xs.jpgThe Phoenicians, Under the scientific direction of Sabatino Moscati, Abbeville Press, 1988, First American Edition; huge, beautiful book full of exquisite full page color photographs and maps, F/Fine.  $150
  • Village on the Euphrates: From Foraging to Farming at Abu Hureyra, by A.M.T. Moore, G.C. Hillman and A.J. Legge, Oxford University Press, 2000, First Edition; exciting, detailed archaeology, new book in wraps.  $75
  • Caravans and Trade in Afghanistan, The Changing Life of the Nomadic Hazarbuz, by Birthe Frederiksen, Ida Nicolaisen Editor in Chief, Thames and Hudson, 1996, First US Edition; History, culture and beautiful big photographs in Fine condition with fine dust jacket.  $75
  • Illustrated Poetry and Epic Images, Persian Painting of the 1330s and 1340s, by Marie Lukens Swietochowski and Stefano Carrboni, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1994; details as well as pictures, as new in wraps.  $25
  • MARI, documentary photographs from the archaeological mission of Mari, text in French by Andre Parrot, with English translation by May Arathoon, Editions Ides Et Calendes, 1953; black and white photos and full-page plates of sites and artifacts from the Far East, Rome, Black Eve, Romanesqe France, Spain and Portugal, fine hardback book with very good dust jacket.  $28
  • A large collection of books by G.K. Chesterton and C.S. Lewis
  • Also, a lovely small collection of 18 titles by beloved children's-book author Laura E. Richards, best known for Captain January, but winner as well of the Pulitzer Prize in 1917 for her biography of her mother, Julia Ward Howe.  The books in the collection are mostly first editions and have beautiful original publisher's decorative cloth covers.  Individual titles and prices will be available on our web pages very soon.  Please check them out.

Annex Gallery
gall-lewandowski-cherries-xs.jpgAmy Lewandowski:  Watercolors
Thursday, March 5, 6-8pm
~ first Thursdays ~
Amy Lewandowski is a watercolorist with soul.  In addition to commercial pieces (she created the watercolor used on the postcard for our neighbor Wool & Willow Needlepoint), she also creates a travelogue both real and imagined.  Come enjoy a taste of spring, as only watercolor can attest.  Show continues through March 30.

Gene's Jazz Hot
Gene's Jazz HotGene's Jazz Hot:  In Concert
Thursday, March 12, 7pm-9pm
~ second Thursdays ~
It’s Gene’s birthday!  Join us for birthday cake and a toe-tapping good time with Gene’s Jazz Hot.  Happy belated birthday to Peggi Cella on vocals, too.  What the heck, happy un-birthday to Seth Rosen and Bill Kenney.  And to me, too.    Donations for the band gladly accepted.  pdf.gif

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month
Stump the BooksellerG516: group of girls form story writing club
Story about a group of girls who form a story writing club. Girls names are Erin, Verity, Priscilla... They come from different backgrounds - one is only child, one has a big family, one's parent remarries and they move to a new house called Lynwood. Possibly written in the 50s. They put together a book and have it bound with their pictures on the first page.

N.O.B.S. Forums
NOBSDick MichelGeorge Cruikshank
Thursday,
March 19, 7pm
~ third Thursdays ~
George Cruikshank (1792-1878), in addition to his paintings and caricatures, illustrated over 860 books.  In fact, one British scholar has stated that Cruikshank is not only one of the classic illustrators of the period 1820-1860, but is, indeed, the greatest British book illustrator of all time.  Dick Michel, NOBS and Rowfant member, will comment briefly on Cruikshank as a book illustrator and share from his own collection numerous examples of Cruikshank’s work.  Please come, look, and see what you think!  $3 suggested donation . pdf.gif

Book Clubs
fict-austen-susan.jpgAusteniana Book Club
Thursday,
March 26, 7pm
~ fourth Thursdays ~
We've read the "big six" by Jane Austen, and as many spin-offs, sequels and influences.  Now we'll read some unfinished, posthumously published pieces.  Lady Susan and The Watsons are both rather short, so we'll read both for our March meeting.  In April, we'll travel metaphorically by reading Jane Austen's History of England and in May we may delve into the absurd with Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (it's a real book, no kidding).  In June, it's back to unfinished works with Sanditon, which also has a "finished" version.  Well, that's enough to keep you going 'til summer.  Hope to see you at one of our meetingspdf.gif

fict-watson-s.jpgPraise the Unsung Book Club
Thursday, March 26, 7pm
~ fourth Thursdays ~
Our new book club features books that may have missed the bestsellers list, but are well worth a read.  Sarah Willis chooses Montana 1948 by Larry Watson as our next read. “From the summer of my twelfth year I carry a series of images more vivid and lasting than any others of my boyhood and indelible beyond all attempts the years make to erase or fade them… “ So begins David Hayden’s story of what happened in Montana in 1948. The events of that cataclysmic summer permanently alter twelve-year-old David’s understanding of his family: his father, a small-town sheriff; his remarkably strong mother; David’s uncle Frank, a war hero and respected doctor; and the Haydens’ Sioux housekeeper, Marie Little Soldier, whose revelations turn the family’s life upside down as she relates how Frank has been molesting his female Indian patients. As their story unravels around David, he learns that truth is not what one believes it to be, that power is abused, and that sometimes one has to choose between family loyalty and justice.  pdf.gif

Edible Books Festival
edible08-playwithfood-s.JPGSaturday, April 4 at 1:00pm

~ Annual Special Event ~

It’s coming… our sixth annual Edible Books Festival!  What is it?  It’s a creative contest. What is an Edible Book?  You be the judge.  The only rule is to make edible art that has something to do with books.  Contest Categories for 2009 (won by popular vote and awarded to appropriate books) are:  Most Inspiring,  Most Literary, and Most Delectable.  Free to enter contest and to observe; $3 to vote and eat.  For a taste, visit the FAQs.  pdf.gif

peace,
Harriett

Loganberry Books
13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800
Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; Thursday 'til 8pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/

Image
image001.gif
Image