From: Harriett Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: July is for Baseball for Great Books!
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:57:16 -0400
To: LoganberryNews@logan.com <LoganberryNews@logan.com>

Salutations!

LMA2010-authoralley1-xs.jpg

The Larchmere Festival on July 3rd was great fun with forty-five authors here at Loganberry, and five thousand or so guests on the street.  Wow!  We have a display of signed books from our brush with fame, come check them out!  And we’re continuing the author visits this month with a special appearance by Joe Wallace, author of Diamond Ruby (scroll down for details).

Recent Acquisitions

kids-moser-dog.jpg

·         Jack London’s Dog signed by author Dirk Wales, illustrated by Barry Moser

·          6-volume biography of Thomas Jefferson by Dumas Malone

·          Slapped Together: Dilbert Business Anthology by Scott Adams

·          Gonzo: the Secret Life of Hunter S. Thompson by Wenner & Seymour

·         Totems: Transformative Power of Your Personal Animal Totem by Brad Steiger

·         Lots of great rock & roll and rhythm & blues books, including Swamp Pop by Shane K. Bernard and Great Spirits by Randall Grass

·         A collection of Big Little Books including Junior Nebb Joins the Circus

Annex Gallery
gall-Brandon-s.jpg Judith Brandon, Karen Kunc & Randall Tiedman
This Turbulent, Beautiful Earth

July 8 – August 2
Judith Brandon likes to scratch, stain and paint her mixed media on paper works to the extent that they become more like the turbulent weather or cataclysmic events they portray.  Karen Kunc is a master printmaker, creating colorful, often odd-shaped woodcut prints inspired by a metaphysical approach to the natural world.  Randall Tiedman’s vast landscapes often make the viewer wonder where they might be.  The fact is that they are all made up in the artist’s head, memories and fragments of places real and imagined.  Together, these artists introduce us to our world in new ways, re-configured through complex visual techniques in two-dimensional art forms.

Book Signing

fict-wallace-s.jpgJoseph Wallace:  Diamond Ruby

Saturday, July 24, 12-2 pm

Seventeen-year-old Ruby Thomas, newly responsible for her two young nieces after a devastating tragedy, is determined to keep her family safe in the vast, swirling world of 1920s New York City. She’s got street smarts, boundless determination, and one unusual skill: the ability to throw a ball as hard as the greatest pitchers in a baseball-mad city.

In this challenging publishing environment, Wallace has proven himself a highly adaptable author, cultivating his fan base through social media such as Twitter. His visit is highly anticipated by a baseball-loving Cleveland audience as well as readers of literary fiction and women’s history. Please come join us for an engaging afternoon!  Wallace is the author of many nonfiction books -- including four on baseball history -- and several short stories. He lives with his family north of New York City. For more information see www.josephwallace.com.

Classics Club

dickens1.jpgCharles Dickens: A Tale of Two Cities

Thursday, July 29, 7 pm
~ usually fourth Thursdays, but in this case, last Thursday ~
“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times….”
With 200 million copies sold, A Tale of Two Cities is among the most famous works of English fiction. It depicts the plight of the French peasantry under the demoralization of the French aristocracy in the years leading up to the French Revolution, the corresponding brutality demonstrated by the revolutionaries toward the former aristocrats in the early years of the revolution, and a number of unflattering social parallels with life in London during the same time period. It follows the lives of several protagonists through these events, most notably Charles Darnay, a French aristocrat, and Sydney Carton, a dissipated British barrister who endeavours to redeem his ill-spent life out of love for Darnay's wife, Lucie Manette.

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month

stump.jpgP464: Pet Can Talk at Midnight

My grandmother read me this story about a young girl who loved her pet (a hamster or a guinea pig perhaps) and she wished they could talk to one another.  Something happens where the pet can speak while the clock strikes 12.  She finds that she has nothing to say but "I love you" or they just look at each other and communicate without words all the affection they have for each other.  My grandma used to cry every time she read it and I would love to find it for her now.  I believe it is a very old story.

Annex Gallery

gall-meili-2010-xs.jpgMeili's AcquisitionsChinese Papercuts & Peasant Paintings
Thursday, August 5, 6-8pm

~ first Thursdays ~
Paper cutting is an ancient art developed by the peasants in China.  Papercuts are made all over China and each region has its own characteristic style.  Many of the papercuts in this collection are from Ansai and Luochuan Counties – remote areas in Shaanxi Province.  Peasant Painting began in an effort by the Chinese Communist Party to develop a new art form which would come from the peasants, the backbone of the Communist movement.  With the relaxing of Party control, the themes of modern folk painting focused on the customs, habits, legends and work of the laboring people.  Show continues through August 30.

Gene's Jazz Hot

genesjazzhot-icon.jpgGene's Jazz Hot
Thursday, August 12, 7-9pm

~ second Thursdays ~

Cool off with some nice cool jazz in the early evening....  make a night on the town by heading out for dinner and drinks afterwards....  Gene's Jazz Hot plays every second Thursday here at Loganberry Books, and it's always a toe-tappin' good time.   Donations for the band appreciated.

N.O.B.S. Forums

nobs-logo-m.jpgBrenda Logan: Volland Publishing
Thursday, August 19, 7pm
~ third Thursdays ~
The 1910s and 1920s were a time when most children’s publishing houses in America were simply emulating their French and German counterparts. But a little company called P.F. Volland & Co., located in Chicago, was marching to its own beat. Volland issued stories with a distinctly American flavor, featuring original watercolor illustrations with art deco influences. The printing was sublime: a nice small size, heavy coated pages, beautiful typefaces, and stunning color-block style illustrations with delicate engraved lines. Although Volland was best known for Johnny Gruelle’s Raggedy Ann and Andy, they published many other cherished tales as well.  Come join us as Brenda Logan discusses this very unique part of our American literary heritage. Please feel free to bring your own Volland books to share!  $3 suggested donation.

Larchmere Sidewalk Sale

LMA-logo-icon.jpgSaturday, September 4, 10am-5pm

Our bi-annual Sidewalk Sale is coming up on Labor Day Weekend!  Bargains abound all over Larchmere, and, as usual, Loganberry offers 20% off all books on this day, plus some other great bargains out on the sidewalks. We only do this store-wide sale twice a year, so we thought you might appreciate an early reminder.

peace,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

On Twitter: @loganberrybooks   On Facebook: loganberrybooks

Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; Thursday 'til 8pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image001.jpg
Image