From: fiend1@juno.com <fiend1@juno.com>
Subject: Local authors have a new book out with a Mardi Gras flavor
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 17:04:01 GMT
To: <books@logan.com>
A new book from a local author may warrant your attention for in-store appearances.

I will remind you that I am a five-time local author - I did Author Alley a few times but have never had the privilege of a personal appearance at Loganberry. Now, along with Sagamore Hills restaurateur Mary Lynn Randall, I have produced a new book, via the popular "Images of Modern America" series from The History Press.

Entitled "Mardi Gras in Kodachrome," it compiles a long-concealed family cache of previously unpublished color slides shot from 1950-1960 of the New Orleans Mardi Gras celebrations. The pictures were taken by Mary's grandmother, the late Ruth Ketcham, and the History Press fell in love with them at first sight.

Many individuals took photographs of Mardi Gras, but usually on the prevalent and versatile black-and-white. It seems, however, that very few photographers tried Kodachrome, which needed precise exposure, bright light, and a very steady hand. Ruth Ketcham’s beautiful images of the masquers and the colorful parading krewes are as vivid now as the days they were made.

The book may be seen as the “light side” to my late-2017 book, “Crescent City Crimes: Old New Orleans 1718-1918” (Schiffer Books), in which I had the privilege of retelling classic true-crime narratives of old New Orleans, from the folk-hero pirate Jean Lafitte (and his lesser-known brother Pierre) to the prostitutes of Storyville and the never-caught, almost supernatural serial killer dubbed the Axman.

The official street date for Mardi Gras in Kodachrome is Jan. 7. I hope you will consider setting aside a night to have us over and giving these books a warm Yankee-carpetbagger welcome.

You may also find this notification in your regular e-mail; please pardon the redundancy.

- Charles Cassady Jr.

https://www.amazon.com/Mardi-Kodachrome-Images-Modern-America/dp/1467102768/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541821132&sr=8-1&keywords=mardi+gras+in+kodachrome