From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Happy New Year from Loganberry Books
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 15:31:53 -0500
To: LoganberryNews@logan.com <LoganberryNews@logan.com>

Salutations!

Happy New Year! Our Annual Greeting Card Sale is on!  20% off all everyday cards (we have thousands), and 40% off all holiday cards and calendars.

This month, we feature two children’s publishers in our front windows:  the nostalgic Parents Magazine Press (who published many a baby boomer favorite), and the more recent Purple House Press (which has reprinted many of those old favorites).   We’re also looking forward to our second annual ALA Awards live webcast – who do you think will win the Caldecott and Newbery this year?

Recent Acquisitions

·           A large collection of Limited Editions Club books, here’s a sample:

o   The Golden Bough by Frazier

o   The Diary of Samuel Pepys (10 volumes)

o   Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott

o   3 Edith Wharton novels

·                        Remainders (glossy new books sold at a great discount):

o   The Arctic by Richard Sale

o   Warhol by Galella, That’s Great

o   The Animation Bible by Furniss

o   English, Irish and Scottish Silver by Wees

o   Krazy Kat and the Art of George Herriman

o   The Talented Miss Highsmith by Joan Schenkar

o   Fanny and Adelaide by Ann Blainey

Annex Gallery
KayseJessica Kayse: World Next Door
Thursday, January 3, 6-8 PM
~ first Thursdays ~
Jessica is a budding photographer who absolutely loves taking photographs, particularly of everyday life. These photographs were taken in Grand Goâve, Haiti and different parts of Nicaragua. In this exhibit you will see the beauty of people as if they are your neighbor, in real captured moments.  We hope you will join us in welcoming and encouraging the art of Jessica, and give her a grand send-off on her upcoming missionary travels.

Live Music
Gene's Jazz HotGene's Jazz Hot
Thursday, January 10, 7-8:30 PM

~ second Thursdays ~
Local jazz combo Gene’s Jazz Hot will perform in the LitArts room on their usual second Thursday evening.  Kevin Richards will be on guitar January, February and March, and a special guest appearance on bass will be Ray DeForest this January.  Always a rollicking good time with good people.
Donations for the band gratefully accepted.

NOBS Forums
NOBSShow and Tell
Thursday, January 17, 7 PM

~ third Thursdays ~
Get anything great for Christmas? Now’s the time to share your interesting, unusual, and otherwise noteworthy reads with other bibliophiles at our semi-annual Show and Tell session.  Anything goes: you can bring treasured tomes and tell us about them, or you can bring odd curiosities you know nothing about and let group members tell you what they think.  Either way, there’s always something to learn and some great books to discuss.  Bring a book and join us!

Classics Club
Wilkie CollinsWilkie Collins: The Woman in White
Thursday, January 24, 2013, 7 pm
~ fourth Thursdays ~
The Woman in White famously opens with Walter Hartright's eerie encounter on a moonlit London road. Engaged as a drawing master to the beautiful Laura Fairlie, Walter becomes embroiled in the sinister intrigues of Sir Percival Glyde and his 'charming' friend Count Fosco, who has a taste for white mice, vanilla bonbons, and poison. Pursuing questions of identity and insanity along the paths and corridors of English country houses and the madhouse, The Woman in White is the first and most influential of the Victorian genre that combined Gothic horror with psychological realism.

ALA Youth Media Awards
Caldecotts Live Webcast

Monday, January 28, 11am

~ annual special event ~

Join us for a live webcast of the annual ALA Youth Media Awards, including the Andrew Carnegie Medal, Laura Ingalls Wilder Award, Coretta Scott King Award, Pura Belpre Award, Theodor Seuss Geisel Award, Michael L. Printz Award, and of course the John Newbery Medal and the Randolph Caldecott Medal.  This year, the event will be in Seattle WA, with Kent State University’s own Carolyn Brodie leading the ceremony as President of ALSC.  We’ll follow along, live, and with our own ballots, as the Randolph Caldecott Medal marks its historic 75th anniversary.

Keep reading,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image035.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image036.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  @loganberrybooks

Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; Thursday 'til 8pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image002.jpg
Image