From: Loganberry Books <elisabeth@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry News June 2020
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 06:10:13 -0700
To: <books@logan.com>
Loganberry News June 2020

Like   Tweet
shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Stepping into Solidarity

A conundrum: how to keep in pandemic isolation while joining the solidarity of social uprising. Books provide one useful tool here, and while the top three Antiracist titles are out of stock everywhere (don’t worry, they’re being reprinted now), there are other titles to explore. There are also ebooks and audio books that don’t need to be reprinted. A couple publishers are even offering some titles for free download (follow us on social media for links, or check here).

At Loganberry, we’re expanding and highlighting our Antiracist and Black literature sections (again, yes!), exploring podcasts (link) and virtual book clubs, donating and fundraising for the cause (see Juneteenth, below). We have a series called One-Minute-Reads in production featuring Black Clevelanders reading from books by Black authors, and a concerted effort to hire more people of color. We’re also receptive to your ideas, so feel free to share.

One thing I wanted to do was record people’s personal stories, but looks like others are doing that (probably better than we could), so here’s a big shout-out to Lit Cle’s Neighborhood Voices and StoryCorps Connect. Because your stories are important, and we want to hear them. See you in the streets.

103697074 10157352973781198 5539347494971241596 n

Facebook Live with authors Adriana Trigiani and John Grisham

Thursday, June 11, 2020, 4pm EDT on Facebook
Yes, that John Grisham! Tune in to New York Times Bestselling author Adriana Trigiani's Facebook for her chat with John Grisham about his new book Camino Winds, AND with Harriett Logan about Loganberry Books! We're so honored to be featured as this week's Indie Spotlight and hope you'll tune in.

VZCQW9RkoKM4tfQtClH8C9ULzQ5xFM4X78YnSCynynAZ7B ZgLEuieRyiVZT7PpO8nC5lArLeOEyi DPd2jMLaIQV1wJRLeDa47612MkXSdTcgIse Dkr5qutUPVevdi

Juneteenth Fundraiser for BLM Cleveland

Friday, June 19, 2020
~in-store and online~
Change starts at home, and Cleveland is ours. We're committing to donate 20% of all sales made on June 19, Juneteenth 2020, to Black Lives Matter Cleveland to help fund their work to combat and counter acts of violence and center Black joy in Cleveland and in the world. Spread the news! The more sales we make the larger our donation. You can purchase in-store 10am-6pm or online 12am-11:59pm, 6/19/2020.

91wfa181zKL

Father's Day Treats

Sunday, June 21, 2020
We're pleased to be able to welcome you back into the store to browse great gifts and cards for Father's Day! Or, if you prefer, staff would be delighted to listen (by phone or email at books@logan.com) to listen to a few facts about your dear old dad and recommend a book or gift perfect for him. Why not serve up a hefty portion of culinary inspiration? Flour Water Salt Yeast, (pictured here) might be just what he needs. Could he use a hug from a cute Jellycat creature during social distancing? Or some funny, cozy socks? A one-of-a kind collectible book by his favorite author? Not sure? We'll be delighted to help you figure out something perfect, and even mail or deliver directly to Dad, Grandpa, or Godfather.

lat-mask-header-white

Face Mask Design Contest

through July 14, 2020
Since we all have to wear one anyways, why not wear one proclaiming a peace-filled message? We're inviting you to design a face mask on the subject of "peace" (which Dr. King reminds us is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice). We'll choose one winner which we'll have printed and offer for sale in the store and online. For every mask we sell, Bonfire will donate one to an essential worker through #GetUsPPE.

There's no entry fee, and one lucky winner will win a $30 Loganberry gift certificate AND have their design featured on masks we'll sell in-store and online! Please email a digital image in no more than 3 colors, sized at 2"x6" and minimum 300dpi to rachel@logan.com with your first and last name and the title of your work by July 14, 2020. Winners will be announced by August 1.

IMG 8841.JPG

Bookmark Design Contest Winner: Angela Novak

Huge thanks to all the local artists who entered our May Bookmark Design Contest! We're thrilled to reveal the winning design by Angela Novak here. Keep your eye out for this beautiful design on our new bookmarks soon!

12PurpleUnicorn 79209.1505232326.1280.1280

"My Favorite Imaginary Creature" Writing Contest Winners

Erin Smith: "Talons & Tales" and Eleanor Lindsay: "The One and Only Fire Unicorn"
Huge thanks to everyone who participated in our first ever Loganberry fundraising contest this past April! We encouraged you to get the creative juices flowing while sheltering in place, and are delighted to announce our winners, which you can now read on our blog: Erin Smith for her short story entry in the adult category, "Talons & Tales" and Eleanor Lindsay for her Children's category short story entry "The One and Only Fire Unicorn." We loved reading all your creative entries and look forward to announcing the winners of the May 2020 Bookmark design contest soon!

7215552f3f3009ce9e6185d82927eeb2102ee5d3

Lines from Loganberry Podcast

We are so excited to announce the launch of our official podcast, Lines from Loganberry! Through this audio platform, we hope to better connect with you and to bring you new, creative content––including: sharing our new favorite reads, local author spotlights, bookish world inquiries, and checking in with our favorite cat, Otis.

Two episodes are live now: a recording of the Facebook live event "Books, Big Hats, and Bourbon - A Celebration of Horses" held on May 2nd with three local authors, and Local Voices Manager Miesha Headen's interview with local author and cardiologist Dr, Ankur Kalra, about his new collection of poetry, Ibadah. You can listen on Spotify and on Anchor.

alteredbooksimage2020

Annex Gallery

Altered Book Group: Door Ways
Extended through June!
May and June 2020
~online~
The Altered Book Group is a made up of 9 women artists who who for the past 15 years have met regularly to share work exploring books as art. While COVID-19 precautions mean artists weren't able to install in the physical gallery, we've created a virtual gallery of their work exploring the theme of "Door Ways" here!

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455

Book of the Month Club

Did you know that we hand-select and mail books directly to your door even when there's not a pandemic on? Our Book of the Month Club has been running for over 20 years. With social distancing sadly keeping us out of physical bookstores, this might be the perfect time to hire a personal book shopper for you or a loved one. We've got multiple budget levels and options which you can read about here. If you'd like to sign up or ask any questions, please email julie@logan.com.

73190482 10156335498291010 5091828701734109184 o

Loganberry Swag

Once you're able to get out and about again, you're going to need a way to carry all those books you added to your collection during social distancing! Just a reminder that the Loganberry 25th anniversary tote is the best in the galaxy, with extra long handles, a deep gusset, button closure, and most importantly, Otis' face. We've also got aprons, bumper stickers, and smaller stickers! All available online.

IMG 7384

Collectible Books for Every Budget

Within the last month, Sanctuary maestra Wendy has added more than 50 new modern first editions to our webstore! This signed 1st edition of Louis Bromfield's Malabar Farm (a classic of ecological and agricultural writing) is one delight among many. We continue to expand and update these listings weekly. You can also email wendy@logan.com or elisabeth@logan.com for a personalized suggestion for any budget!

safe image

Gift Certificates

Don't have a particular book in mind, but want to help insure the beautiful Loganberry browsing experience is available to you and world once the pandemic passes? You can order a gift certificate for yourself or a loved one online or over the phone. Plus, to thank you for your support, gift certificates over $50 will earn a 10% bonus! For example, spend $50 for a $55 certificate, $100 for a $110 certificate, etc.

download

Buy Ebooks from Loganberry

Hummingbird Ebooks
While a paper book you can hold in your hand will always hold first place in our hearts, we know there are important things an ebook can offer, and that many of our loyal customers sometimes need an ebook. So we're thrilled to announce the Loganberry Ebook Store via Hummingbird!. Browse thousands of titles in dozens of categories, all available to download right! this! instant!

icon-audiobook

Digital Audiobooks

Our Libro.fm store offers thousands of digital audiobooks for instant download--and the good feeling that comes from supporting Loganberry with your purchase. You can purchase individual books, subscriptions, or even send an audiobook as a gift!

0

Our Social Media

Hopefully, you're already following us on *Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.* Loganberry booksellers continue posting fun recommendations of new items available to order, what they're reading during the pandemic, and contributions from local authors and artists. We'll also pass on information on how you can help marginalized members of our community.

Read along with our booksellers

(purchase any book by clicking on its title!)

81E1TXOrpML

Harriett is reading Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo: "The latest release from the award-winning author of The Poet X, this emotionally engrossing novel is the story of two teenagers, one in NYC, one in Dominican Republic, who lose their father in an airplane crash--turns out it’s the same father."

9780316010702

Elisabeth is reading: Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie mystery series: "Atkinson is worth reading for her amazing sentences alone, but these whip-smart, funny-sad-beautiful books are must-reads for those who love mystery and for those who think they don't."

9781883285906

Leigh is reading You Would Have Told Me Not To by Christopher Coake: "This short story collection, out in July, explores how we can face and potentially make peace with our past mistakes and in some cases, learn from them. It is a wistful collection, with lots of memorable characters, and the author does well writing from both male and female perspectives."

9781982106768

Lorraine is reading The Doll Factory by Elizabeth Macneal: "This enjoyable, creepy thriller is set in Victorian London. It follows a young woman from dollmaker to Pre-Raphaelite artist and muse...and a taxidermist’s unsettling obsession with her."

71OPNuE004L

Margy is reading: The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett: "I'm rattled by it, I deeply enjoying it, and I know I will keep thinking about it for a long time. Following the lives of Black twins Desiree and Stella, we see their lives diverge and intersect through decades after they flee their small hometown together, along with how the lives of their children are impacted by their mothers' disparate life choices, as one twin decides abruptly to move across the country and pass for white."

9780593099667

Miesha is reading A Deadly Inside Scoop by Abby Collette: This delightful culinary cozy mystery is set in Chagrin Falls! Collette gently weaves in the history of black migrants seeking work in the paper mills with the story of amateur sleuth Bronwyn Cruise's uncovering who killed the Village’s notorious swindler. Recipes for all the ice creams mentioned in the book are included! "

71ARyXhsojL

Rachel is reading Happy Fat: Taking Up Space in a World That Wants to Shrink You by Sofie Hagen: is funny, uplifting and exactly what big people need right now to offset the fat-shaming that's rampant and excused in the context of this pandemic."

9781982148201

Wendy is reading Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Orthodox Roots by Deborah Feldman: "Feldman's memoir inspired the recent four-part series on Netflix. It's an emotional look inside the insular Hasidic community in NY, and both the book and series provide an unflinching look at the deep tolls that result when someone leaves that community."

into-the-tall-tall-grass-9781534449671 hr

Julie is reading Into the Tall Tall Grass by Loriel Ryon: "A girl fights to save her grandmother's life by navigating the magical grasslands in what was once a desert yard to find a special pecan tree. I find this book delightful!"

91CD3NzGaNL

Sarah is reading: If It Bleeds by Stephen King: "It may sound odd, bit I always find comfort in a new Stephen King book. The stories are strange and scary—but in a familiar way for an avid King reader—and the familiarity is comforting.

Reminders on our ongoing pandemic precautions:

Loganberry is now open to customers Tuesday-Saturday, 10am-6pm with the following guidelines in place:
• 10am-11am reserved for immuno-compromised and senior customers
• Face-coverings required at all times
• Minimum spacing of 6 feet between people
• Limited to 25 people in the store at any time, and 3 people per alcove or seating area
• We are not currently buying used books.We'll announce when we're ready to resume!
• While the pandemic is ongoing, all sales are non-refundable/exhangable
• Hang in there! We appreciate your business, and we're all in this together.

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries