From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Happy May Day from Loganberry Books
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 10:43:14 -0400
To: <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Salutations!

Edible BooksThe Edible Books Festival (co-sponsored by Strong Bindery of course) is always loads of fun.  Photos from this year's April Fool's Day event are now posted online.  Take a look and start thinking about next year!
http://www.loganberrybooks.com/edible-books-2006.html

Looking ahead, we have an exciting workshop here with an internationally reknown animal communicator, a NOBS Forum Show and Tell session, and our annual Memorial Day weekend Sidewalk Sale.  Details below...

Exciting recent acquisitions
Frasconi's Thoreau

  • a limited, signed edition of Antonio Frasconi's woodcut-illustrated A Vision of Thoreau
  • a first edition of the classic Good-bye Mr. Chips
  • pop-up greeting cards and a new pop-up book Sharks by Robert Sabuda
  • London as seen by Charles Dana Gibson, 1897
  • two first editions from The Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • new Arcadia release on Playhouse Square
  • joke of the new acquisitions cart:  I inadvertently shelved a Holy Bible next to Origin of the Species.  Rebecca launched into Spencer Tracy imitations from Inherit the Wind.

NOBS Forums:  Show and Tell
rare books Saturday, May 20, 4pm
The Northern Ohio Bibliophilic Society (NOBS) will host another Show and Tell session on Saturday, May 20, at 4 pm. Anyone and everyone is invited to bring biblio treasures and tell us their stories!  Where did they come from, what makes them special, have you ever seen illustrations like this?  We'll each share some gems, and gain some knowledge from the collective group.  With book collectors, librarians, afficianados, dealers, bookbinders, and historians in the group, it will be more than an "Antiques Roadshow" experience, as we'll learn about the history, bibliographies, biographies, and values of the books, and put the book into its cultural history context. So bring your gems from the attic, garage sale curios, and prized possessions.  Learn a little, teach a tad.   Admission:  $3 (free to NOBS members).

Introduction to Telepathic Communication with Animals
Smitha workshop and booksigning with Jacquelin Smith
Sunday, May 21
Through Species Connection, established in 1980, Jacquelin Smith has helped others reawaken their innate, intuitive ability to communicate with animals. Animal communication is a heart-to-heart connection that everyone can experience if they open, love, and listen to the animals. Interspecies communication is a natural connection many of us have forgotten. It has nothing to do with being "psychic."  Spend a couple hours with Lakewood native Jacquelin Smith and learn how to better communicate with your own pets.  Have Jacquelin sign her excellent book, Animal Communication: Our Sacred Connection which features many anecdotes and inspiring stories, some with Cleveland connections.
Workshop:  10am-1pm, $60,  reservations required.
Booksigning:  1pm-2pm, free.
Individual Consults:  $25 for 15 minutes, 2pm-5pm, reservations required.

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month
Stump the BooksellerC404: Cookie Book
I called it the Cookie Book and it was my favorite book as a toddler in the early forties.  It was a little book about a puppy that loved cookies, and a cooky factory he hung out at, finding it by following the smell of the cookies in the air.  The illustrations showed the cooky smell wafting through the air.

Gaming Girls
Thursday, May 11, 7pm
The Girlfriends Literary Society has a requested a Domino Night.  No, I don't mean pizza (although Cpt. Tony would surely oblige), I mean Dominoes.  What do you mean you've never played?  Come check out the new Women's Game Night at Loganberry, and hang out amongst the stacks and learn the ancient game of Dominoes.  Tell us if you've read anything good recently too, we always like to know about the books in your life.

Larchmere Sidewalk Sale
LarchmereSaturday, May 27, 11-5pm
Memorial Day weekend brings out the bargains on Larchmere Boulevard with our bi-annual Sidewalk Sale.  The 50+ shops and services who reside on Larchmere Boulevard will display special sales merchandise on the sidewalks and other discounts.  I bet there will even be some book bargains around!  This is the real deal in community and neighborhood shopping; don’t miss it!

Annex Gallery
JuanitaThe Brown Group: It Figures
Thursday, May 4, 6-8pm
Annex Gallery Opening Reception
The Brown Group is comprised of local artists Richard Wagner, Lois Durda, Donna Polack, Judy Pezdir, Du-Ing Lin, May Halliday and Toni Fiderio. They meet weekly at Browning Senior Center in Willoughby, working from a live model for 3 to 6 sessions per model.  In their "former lives", this eclectic group made their living as art teachers, a gymnastics teacher, a nurse, a pharmacist, and an engineer. "While we have painted all our lives, we find our kinship in the silence of our own creativity as we paint together each week", says Donna Polack.
Show:  May 4-29

I hope to see you browsing at Loganberry soon!

peace,
Harriett

Loganberry Books
13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800
Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/

Image
Image