From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Sidewalk Sale at Loganberry Books
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 12:39:45 -0400
To: <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Salutations!

Summer Solstice is coming!  Oh goody, nice outdoors weather!  Note that 5 of the 7 events listed in this month's newsletter have an outdoor component to them.  What a relief to welcome summer.  Mark your calendars now, you know how quickly the pages turn...

Remember the Larchmere Sidewalk Sale this Saturday, May 27th, 10am-5pm.  Loganberry will offer 20% off all books, sidewalk specials, and a vinyl record bargain sale!

Exciting recent acquisitions
Kenneth Patchen

  • nice vintage paperbacks of Kenneth Patchen's beat poetry
  • a small leatherbound German hymnal dated 1721
  • gay fiction by Alan Hollinghurst, Patrick Gale, Michael Cunningham & others
  • lesbian fiction by Sarah Waters, Katherine Forrest, June Jordan & others
  • Les Roberts was kind enough to come sign all his new paperback releases by Gray & Co., as well as some older hardcover editions we have in stock
  • an almost full run of  Cherry Ames books!
  • Freedom Road signed by 1945 "On the Town" production cast, including Paul Robeson
  • UnseenAmerica, featuring many photograhs by and of Clevelanders

Larchmere Antiques Fair
Antiques Fair Sunday, June 25, 10-5pm
Once a year, Larchmere Boulevard is closed to vehicle traffic while myriad antiques merchants and vintage dealers set up booths in the middle of street to showcase their treasures of the esoteric, unique, and antique.  Combined with the brick and mortar mainstay businesses of Larchmere, this creates a shopping extravaganza that's part street fair, and part Portobello Road Market.  It's not just a shopping trip, but an afternoon of fun in the sun and digging for treasures.  With dozens of antiques and vintage dealers, there's always something glamorous, something unexpected, and a bargain or two not to be resisted.  Sponsored by the Larchmere Merchants Association.

Wake Up and Live:  PlayActs
Wake Up and LiveSaturday, June 24, 7pm and Sunday, June 25, 3:30pm
PlayActs will showcase one-act productions by the five winners of the playwright competition held by Wake Up and Live’s Actor’s Studio. The playwrights are: Ed Lusk of Parma, Wendy Willing Mauzy of Mentor, Tom Raber of Cuyahoga Falls, Ted Schvimer of Beachwood, and William Van Nostran of Akron.  The event will also include plays by Ruby Fox and Gary Webster, Playwrights-in-Residence.  Sneak previews and special street performers will entertain during the Larchmere Antiques Fair on Sunday!  Tickets: $13  Produced by the Wake Up and Live Actors Studio.

"Let's Get Social on Larchmere"
PretermSunday, June 4th,  12-4:30pm
Preterm is hosting an afternoon of partying and pro-choice politics on Larchmere. You can join any or all of the festivities,  including a champagne buffet brunch at Boulevard Blue, a sidewalk festival with concessions, a sneak preview of Parade the Circle with steel band, stiltwalkers, and giant puppets, and special shopping opportunities with Larchmere merchants. A 3:00 reception at Loganberry Books will offer the rare opportunity to hear the voices of women and their families sharing their thoughts and feelings around the decision to terminate a pregnancy, as staged by Dobama Theater. At the same time, kids can enjoy story hour, the Flower Clown, and a tour of Loganberry’s extensive collection of children’s and illustrated books. Sponsored by Preterm.

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month
Stump the BooksellerO88: Orphan gives voice lessons
Girl and older sister orphans who must earn a living - sister is a singer?, gives voice lessons and they end up staying in a student's home when the sister gets sick.  Some romantic element involving music student's uncle?brother? with older sister. Think one is named Arabel but not sure.  Some ongoing thing with pickled clams and the younger sister not brave enough to try new things. Set in New York or Boston in the late 1800's to early 1900's, I think.  Any help greatly appreciated - driving me nuts to not remember this!

Gaming Girls
Mexican TrainThursday, June 8, 7pm
The Girlfriends Literary Society has rekindled as a Women's Game Night.  We began with a domino game called Mexican Train, which is loads of fun.  Have you played?  Come learn the game!  We'll meet again on the second Thursday of the month, 7pm, come prepared to play!  Bring a friend, and we'll start another table.  By the way, read any good books lately?

NOBS Forums:  Book Collecting 101
rare books Saturday, June 17, 4pm
We've had many requests for a primer on book collecting, so here it is.  Harriett Logan of Loganberry Books (yours truly) will lead the discussion.  Like any field there are nuances and fine points, and this seminar will discuss the basics: edition, condition, marketability, and value.  Book samples will be on-hand for participants to practice book assessments.   Admission:  $3 (free to NOBS members).  Sponsored by the Northern Ohio Bibliophilic Society.

Shaker Summer Solstice
SolsticeSaturday, June 24, 5-10pm
Join the Festival of Music at the Shaker Community Colonnade at the corner of Lee Road and Van Aken Blvd. Three mainstage performances and various street performers will entertain as we enjoy the longest day of the year.  Local artisans and vendors will showcase their wares (yours truly included) and close out the day with a drum circle.  Sponsored by the Shaker Arts Council.

Solar Works:  Installation Workshop
Solar PanelSaturday and Sunday, July 8 & 9, 8:30am-5:00pm
Speaking of the sun, Loganberry is excited to be getting an exterior sign light that won't cause pollution or require burning of fossil fuels.  It will be a dedicated solar photovoltaic array with a light sensor so I don't even have to remember when to turn it on or off.  Want to learn how it works and help put it together?  You can l
earn more about solar electricity and be part of the hands-on technical crew as part of the educational workshop conducted by REpower Solutions.  Workshop cost:  $290 (lunch, teaching materials, and certificate of completion included).  Register online at  www.repowersolutions.com.

Annex Gallery
Randy JonesRandy Jones: Digital Dreams
Opening Reception: Thursday, June 1, 6-8pm
Columbus artist Randy Jones brings his computer enhanced images to the Annex Gallery for a show of heightened realism that melds into hypnotic surrealism.  Come meet the artist and enjoy live music and refreshments, and ask him how he did it.   Show runs through June 26.
Co-sponsored by Wild Plum Productions.

I hope to see you browsing at Loganberry soon!

peace,
Harriett

Loganberry Books
13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800
Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/

Image
Image