From: Loganberry Books <loganberrybooks@gmail.com>
Subject: The Haunted Bookshop takes over Loganberry this Sunday, 10/31!
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 18:40:18 +0000
To: Harriett Logan <books@logan.com>
The Haunted Bookshop takes over Loganberry this Sunday, 10/31!

Like   Tweet
shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News November 2021

It’s Decorative Gourd Season, Booklovers!

We’ve got the pumpkins, we’ve got the ghosts, and just wait ‘til you see our 3D Very Hungry Caterpillar maze for our Haunted Bookshop tours (thanks, artist/bookseller Rachel). Have you ever wanted to ask Bartleby the Scrivener a question or follow a ghostly yellow brick road? It’s all happening on Halloween night.

We promise to get back to regular bookselling after that. Remember to get your orders in early, supply chain hurdles and all that la-de-dah. We hope you have an excellent autumnal celebration.

Events

haunted-house

The Haunted Bookshop

Sunday, October 31, 2021, 5:00-8pm
~annual~
Every last day of October turns Loganberry Books into the Haunted Bookshop! Come experience the frights for yourself, in person, starting in Diagon Alley and winding into the Annex Gallery and exiting... somewhere outside. There will be spooky sounds and sights, led by our own literary tour guides.

Pandemic version allows one family unit (max. 6 people) at a time, guided through the Haunted Bookshop (both indoors & out). Hands to yourself; masks and costumes required! The first hour has more light (sun hasn't set yet!), and fewer spooks (but as a literary-themed tour, none of it is particularly scary).

5-6pm for Gentle Ghouls
6-8pm for Robust Goblins

sale sign 2-430x389

Monthly Sale

All through November, any book in our Religion and Philosophy section is 20% off! No better time than year-end to revisit honored traditions or dig into new wisdom.

modern-neon-purple-trendy-colors-wall-clocks

Extended Holiday Hours

The days or getting short, but our open hours are getting longer! Starting the week after Thanksgiving, we'll be open to in-store shoppers on Monday afternoons 10am-6pm and Friday nights til 8:30!

9781635577808

Berry Good Book Club

Susannah Clarke: Piranesi
Wednesday, November 3, 2021, 7:30pm
~1st Wednesdays, via Zoom~
This month's bookseller host: Sarah
You already love our booksellers' recommendations: what could be better than a chance to come back after you've read what they recommend to talk about it? That's the idea behind our newest monthly book club, Berry Good Books. Every month, a different Loganberry Bookseller will recommend a favorite book and lead a discussion with community members!

This month, Bookseller Sarah has chosen Piranesi by Susanna Clarke. Here's why: "I picked this book because--beside the fact it’s a page turner, with a wondrous and strange setting, and great writing, and has a sympathetic character, whom I loved--what I really, really want to hear is what other people have to say about this story.

Why is it so compelling? Who is Piranesi and why is he in this peculiar world with flooded rooms and broken statues and the bones of a few dead people, and no one else except a man who comes to visit him occasionally? How did he get here, and will he always have to stay here? And, what does this all mean to you? What do you take away after reading this book? It’s haunting, this story—not like a ghost story, not in a scary way, but there are images and moments that will always stick with me, and I’d love to discuss Piranesi with you."

Register here to join this free discussion and click here to purchase a copy of the book.

Looking ahead:

December: Bookseller Leigh will host a discussion on Margaret Atwood's The Testaments on Wednesday, December 1 at 7:30pm!

LV-Echoes of the Gospel

Local Voices

Clay Myatt: Echoes of the Gospel in Harry Potter
Sunday, November 6, 2021, 11am
~in person at Loganberry~
The Bible and the Harry Potter series. Do they have anything in common? Echoes of the Gospel in Harry Potter suggests a profound connection between these two beloved and inspirational stories.

Each chapter sheds light on this connection from a different angle by unpacking how either an aspect of the magical world, a character, or a theme in Harry Potter echoes the Gospels. Whether Christian or non-Christian, well-versed in the Bible or unfamiliar with it, fans of the Harry Potter series will find this an illuminating and captivating read.

Clay Myatt currently serves as a ministry resident at City Church in Cleveland Heights. He holds degrees from Vanderbilt University and Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. He was born and raised in Cleveland, OH.

PBC - Kang Quackery

Peculiar Book Club

Lydia Kang: Quakery: A Brief History of the Worst Ways to Cure Everything
Thursday, November 11, 2021, 7pm
~2nd Thursdays + 4th Thursdays, via Zoom~
Finally, a book club for the Peculiars! Join host and local author of Mr Humble and Dr. Butcher, Dr. Brandy Schillace for book club dates with your favorite authors of strange history, medical marvels, and weird science.You'll get to meet the author and participate in the discussion–so come with questions!

For this edition of the Peculiar Book Club, author Lydia Kang gives us a romp through the history of fake cures and medical missteps as she discusses her book Quakery: A Brief History of the Worst Ways to Cure Everything

Register for the event here, and get a signed copy of the book from Loganberry's online store or call us at (216) 795-9800

broadsides-s

Broadsides & Ephemera

Community Open Mic featuring: LaTonya Fenderson-Warren
Thursday, November 11, 7:30-9pm
~second Thursdays, via Zoom~
LaTonya Fenderson-Warren hails from Oberlin, OH and creates and recites her own homegrown poems to enlighten, educate, and bring awareness to a myriad of issues from her faith to her eye opening stance on social racial injustice. Her poetry is her "two cents added". LaTonya's art encourages society to give the silenced ones the microphone for a change.

Connect to the Zoom meeting here
Zoom Meeting ID: 664 283 9349 pw: weluvotis

Enjoy LaTonya's performance and feel free to share your own work at the following Open Mic!

LV-Ancient Greek Roots of Human Rights

Local Voices

Rachel Hall Sternberg: The Ancient Greek Roots of Human Rights
Sunday, November 14, 2021, 1pm
~in person at Loganberry~
Join us to welcome author Rachel Hall Sternberg for a signing of her thought-provoking study that traces the origins of human rights beyond the Enlightenment to the evolution of humane discourse and empathetic thought in Ancient Greece.

Rachel Hall Sternberg is an associate professor of classics and history at Case Western Reserve University. She is also the author of Tragedy Offstage: Suffering and Sympathy in Ancient Athens and editor of Pity and Power in Ancient Athens.

LV-Chameleon Girl

Local Voices

Liz Ferro: Chameleon Girl
Sunday, November 14, 2021, 2pm
~in person at Loganberry~
Adapt and thrive: this is the way of the chameleon. As a firefighter, Nora knows better than most that heat rises. After a terrifying rescue jostles free the memories of a traumatic and abusive past, Nora is forced to pursue the demons who beckon her back into the shadowy realm of this new trauma. As she descends into the inferno of her past, she begins to discover just how much heat she can handle.

Liz Ferro's works include Finish Line Feeling, Girls With Sole: A Girl Power Guide To Unleashing Your Inner Superhero, and Chameleon Girl. As a child, Ferro experienced foster care and sexual abuse, but found solace in sports and fitness. The empowerment gained from sports led her to find the non-profit organization Girls With Sole, which has received extensive national attention for its innovative and award-winning program curriculum. Ferro lives in the Cleveland, Ohio area with her three rescue dogs, two rescue cats, two children, and her husband.

7117W J75lL

Naturalists Notebook

Dan Egan: Death and Life of the Great Lakes
Sunday, November 21, 1pm
~quarterly, via Zoom~
Water is finite. Water is now being treated as a commodity as its uncertainty of availability in the future grows. Water is a requirement to live. It is a precious resource. Together the Great Lakes hold 20% of the world’s fresh water.

Dan Egan’s DEATH AND LIFE OF THE GREAT LAKES, published in 2018, tells the Lakes' story, including the story of the lake most familiar to us, Lake Erie. Egan brings together their history, science findings and personal experiences in a compelling book, forcing all of us to look at a growing crisis with some cautious hope mixed in.

Join the Nature Center at Shaker Lakes and Loganberry Books on November 21st, from 1-3pm to talk more about our relationship with water. Attendance is free, but registration is required here.

LV-On My Way Out

Local Voices

Richard Hawley: On My Way Out: Volume III
Sunday, November 21, 1pm
~in store at Loganberry~
A continuation of On My Way Out, this meditation on closure presents, in detail worthy of Samuel Pepys, the life of the well-known educator and beloved author of The Headmaster's Papers. The interplay of public and private gives the journal special poignancy and relevance.

Richard Hawley was a longtime faculty member and administrator at Cleveland’s University School. He has published more than 15 books. In 1984, he received the Cleveland Arts Prize for Literature.

LV-Rolling Through the Years

Local Voices

Ken Miller: Rolling Through The Years: A Cedar Point Atlas & Chronology
Sunday, November 21, 2021, 2pm
~in store at Loganberry~
Rolling Through The Years is a look back across time at the development and changes at the World's Greatest Amusement Park. Author Ken Miller has spent the last seven years exploring the history of the resort through magazine articles, museum archives, and over 100,000 newspaper articles spanning 200 years. Over 75 historical maps of the peninsula and over 1200 images are included in the book.

Ken Miller is a local high school math teacher. He and his wife, children, and cat have lived in the Sandusky area since the early 1980s. He has been working summers at Cedar Point since 2000 and has been with the Town Hall Museum since 2004.

Larchmere Holiday Stroll

Friday, November 26, 2021, 10am-8:30pm
Saturday, November 26, 2021, 10am-6pm
Sunday, November 28, 2021, 12pm-5pm
~annual~
The Larchmere Holiday Stroll has been a Cleveland tradition for 50 years! And this year, Loganberry celebrates the 10th year of Otis' Old Curiosity Shop! Our popular holiday pop-up shop is bursting with handmade arts & crafts, heartwarming gifts, books and cards, tchotchkes sweet & snarky, and tons of toys both entertaining and educational. We offer free gift wrapping and some special gift packages already selected and wrapped. Come browse the boulevard!

As usual, we'll have local authors in-store to share their books for holiday giving, stay tuned for times and schedules for meeting: Marc Bona,The Hidden History of Cleveland Sports; Gary Dumm and Scott MacGregor, Fire on the Water; Susan Kaesar, Resisting Segregation; Scott Kraynak, The HeArt of Cleveland; Janice Mithcell, My Ticket to Ride; Brandy Schillace, Mr. Humble and Dr. Butcher, and more!

Other Offerings

IMG 2154

Collectible Books for Any Budget

We've just acquired a treasure-trove of mid-20th century collectible books on metaphysics, magic, witchcraft, and more! Almost 100 new books will be making their way on sale in the next few weeks, and they'll go fast! We continue to expand and update our collectible editions listings online weekly. You can also email wendy@logan.com for a personalized suggestion for any budget!

64fdc0cd84df37be08c4f9926cf9faca

Used Book Trading on Hold

We're taking a break from buying used books from customers for the holiday season. We'll resume in late January--keep an eye on our website and social media for an announcement of when we're ready to look at your books again!

IMG 2601

Customer Recommendations

We always love hearing what books you love and now we have a way to share those book recommendations with fellow Loganberry customers! Either email toni@logan.com or fill out a purple card in-store where we'll display your picks on a rotating basis! Special thanks to Teresa Katsaros for recommending her pick The Storied Life of AJ Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. "It's the book I recommend to people who say they aren't readers," she says. Pick up your copy today!

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455

Ways to shop and support Loganberry

▪ Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books for sale online expands every week! Since it's only a fraction of what we have in-store, if you don't see something, email or call and we'll happily check. We also have great Loganberry T-shirts, totes, mugs, and more!
▪ Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
▪ Book of the Month Club: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for for 25 years! If you'd like to sign up or ask any questions, please email julie@logan.com.
▪ Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
▪ Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm
▪ Ebooks from Loganberry.
▪ Follow us on Social Media: **Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**
Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books for sale online expands every week! Since it's only a fraction of what we have in-store, if you don't see something, email or call and we'll happily check. We also have great Loganberry T-shirts, totes, mugs, and more!
Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
Book of the Month Club: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for for 25 years! If you'd like to sign up or ask any questions, please email julie@logan.com.
Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm
Ebooks from Loganberry.
Follow us on Social Media: **Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**

Loganberry Booksellers Recommend: Great Books to Give

Purchase any book below by clicking on its title!

51YhbhZXosS. SX329 BO1 204 203 200

Harriett recommends The Actual Star by Monica Byrne: "This past-present-future story of Mayan civilization reads like a mashup of David Mitchell and Octavia Butler. The powerful bond between twins and the idea of a royal bloodline fight with prophecy and street intuition in creating a world order, but the only constant we can depend upon is change. Fans of mysticism, Belize, ancient cultures, and utopia will enjoy this sprawling saga."

9780593183052

Wendy recommends Body of Stars by Laura Maylene Walter: "Women's bodies are powerful in the dystopian near-future society of local author Walter's new book, and men vie to control that power. This book is perfect for fans of Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, and it would be appropriate for older teens as well."

9781984897947

Miesha recommends Betty by Tiffany McDaniel: "This Finalist for the Ohioana Prize for Best Novel opens the door to the closed history of Native Americans living in Ohio’s Appalachian region. With the flair and pain of a southern gothic, the novel keeps the reader turning the pages to learn more about this little discussed Ohio region and the fictionalized story of McDaniel’s indigenous ancestors."

9780870714993

*Freddy recommends: Gathering Moss by Robin Wall Kimmerer:* "Whether or not you already know and love Kimmerer's modern nature classic Braiding Sweetgrass, you're in for a treat with her first book, Gathering Moss a blend of indigenous knowledge and Kimmerer's work as a botanist in the magical-but-true world of those humblest of our plant relations: mosses."

9780811229906

Elisabeth recommends Garden Physic by Sylvia Legris: "Is it Poetry? Is it Botany? Is it something altogether new and strange? Yes! This winsome little book of botanic snippets, poems, lists, and facts by outsider (in multiple senses of the word) Canadian poet Sylvia Legris is recommended to every nature lover with a sense of fun and whimsy: you've never seen a book quite like it!"

81rfl9xrwIS

Toni recommends: The Sentence by Louise Erdrich: "I am really looking forward to Louise Erdrich's new novel coming out on November 9th (click the link above to preorder!) Erdrich, ghosts, and bookstore setting? Who could ask for more??!"

9781250753861

Miranda recommends: That Way Madness Lies by Dahlia Adler:
This is a collection of modern day YA retellings of Shakespeare. Highly recommend for students who are struggling with Shakespeare to have the stories in more accessible language or anyone who enjoys retellings!"

9781492696728

Julie recommends The Woman They Could Not Silence by Kate Moore: "An incredible true story of one woman's courageous struggle for freedom in 19th century America that reads like a thriller novel!"

Good to know:

▪ Store Hours Extended for the Holidays: Monday-Thursday 10am-6pm, Friday 10am-8:30pm, Saturday 10am-6pm, Sunday 12-5pm
▪ Masks still required
▪ It's so nice to see you again, thanks for stopping by!
Store Hours Extended for the Holidays: Monday-Thursday 10am-6pm, Friday 10am-8:30pm, Saturday 10am-6pm, Sunday 12-5pm
Masks still required
It's so nice to see you again, thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries