From: Loganberry Books <loganberrybooks@gmail.com>
Subject: Loganberry News for January 2022
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 18:45:09 +0000
To: <otis@logan.com>
Loganberry News for January 2022

Like   Tweet
shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News January 2022

Ah, January

New beginnings, a time for cleaning, strategic planning, end-of-year maintenance. First, we thank all of you for a wonderful holiday season, one of our best ever. Now, we're going to take a moment (a full week, in fact!) to attend to some housekeeping (got any elves to loan?). We'll be here, working behind the scenes, shelving like mad, taking inventory, available via phone, email, our online store, and for curbside pick-up of paid orders.

Yes, that means we're closed to browsers for this coming week. If you wonder if this decision is Covid-inspired, we won't deny our desire for extra caution during this latest surge. We hope to keep ourselves -- and all you -- safe. We look forward to seeing you down the road (January 18th!). We've still got a lot of happenings, please read on! And thank you for your understanding.

Events

sale sign 2-430x389

Monthly Sales

Our celebrated Greeting Card Sale returns this month! Throughout January, all greeting cards will be 20% off--it's a great way to stock up and prepare a year of staying in touched with loved ones.

Also: Items in Otis' Old Curiosity Shop are 20% off (exceptions apply). Things are going quickly, though, so move fast!

A Top-Shelf Sale: We're trying something new! Throughout most of the store, books on the very top shelf will be 20% off through January and February! (Exceptions apply). If you've had your eye on a set or something oversize, come in and see if it's on sale!

PBC-Skaife

Peculiar Book Club

Chris Skaife: The Ravenmaster: My Life with the Ravens at the Tower of London
Thursday, January 13, 2022 6pm ET (not the usual 7pm!)
~2nd Thursdays + 4th Thursdays, via Zoom~
Finally, a book club for the Peculiars! Join host and local author of Mr Humble and Dr. Butcher, Dr. Brandy Schillace for book club dates with your favorite authors of strange history, medical marvels, and weird science.You'll get to meet the author and participate in the discussion–so come with questions!

For this edition of the Peculiar Book Club, Chris Skaife, Keeper of the Ravens at the Tower of London, regales us with tales from his life as The Ravenmaster. More information can be found on the Peculiar Book Club website. Register for the event here, and get a signed copy of the book from Loganberry's online store.

broadsides-s

Broadsides & Ephemera

Community Open Mic featuring: Ann Swider
Thursday, January 13, 7:30-9pm
~second Thursdays, via Zoom~
Ann Swider is the daughter of two Polish Jewish Holocaust survivors. She was born in Germany, and immigrated to America with her family who moved to Cleveland in 1950. Ann did post-graduate studies in art and photography in Germany for three years. She returned to the U.S. in 1973, married and had a son. She worked as a professional photographer for thirty years. During that time, she continued to write poetry. Ann came out in her forties. Inspired by feminine energy, she explores woman to woman relationships.

Connect to the Zoom meeting
Zoom Meeting ID: 843 7203 7927 pw: weluvotis

Following Ann's performance, share your own work at the Open Mic portion of the event!!

9781631498831

Reading & Revolution Book Club
Annette Gordon-Reed: On Juneteenth
Sunday, January 16th, 3:00pm
~2nd Sundays~
Reading & Revolution is a book club based out of the Buckeye area in Cleveland (currently meeting online) that seeks to generate conversation and action based on current and historic books that have documented the African American legacy and inspire thought for continued community actions. Visit the club's Facebook page for more information.

This month, R&R Book Club will be reading On Juneteenth by Annette Gordon-Reed. You can buy it 10% off all month at Loganberry!

Join this month's conversation here.

bbb graphic

Broaden Your Bookshelf Reading Challenge

January 2022-January 2023
Registration opens on January 15, 2022
~year long~
Join us on a yearlong reading adventure to read more, read deeper, read bigger, read wider. Sign up with us starting January 15 and read, log your reading, post about your reading. You can meet fellow readers near and far and win prizes!

We'll have:
* 20 Prompts per quarter. You choose the ones you like best.
* A Regular book challenge newsletter to cheer you on and inspire your next choices.
* Tag us @loganberrybooks and use #BroadenYourBookshelf on social media.
* Prizes will be given quarterly for most books read, widest range of categories, most interesting description, and more … (Premium entries for participants whose books are bought at Loganberry!)
* Grand Prize winner and runners up awarded in January 2023.

9781616209957

Book Launch

Thrity Umrigar: Honor
Friday, January 21, 2021, 7pm
~online, via Zoom~
[Join Thrity Umrigar in conversation with Paula McLain to celebrate the release of Thrity’s dazzling new novel ( and Reese's Book Club Pick for January! ), Honor.

In Honor, Indian American journalist Smita has returned to India to cover a story, but reluctantly: long ago she and her family left the country with no intention of ever coming back. As she follows the case of Meena—a Hindu woman attacked by members of her own village and her own family for marrying a Muslim man—Smita comes face to face with a society where tradition carries more weight than one’s own heart.

Thrity Umrigar is the bestselling author of twelve books, including The Space Between Us and The Secrets Between Us. She writes adult fiction, memoir, and children’s picture books.

Paula McLain is the bestselling author of The Paris Wife and many other books, including the new thriller When The Stars Go Dark.

Register for the free Zoom event here. Click here to order a signed copy of Honor from Loganberry.

0

Lit Cleveland

Reader Series: Kazuo Ishiguro with Loganberry Bookseller Toni
Saturday, January 22-Saturday June 25, 2022
~Ticketed class hosted by Lit Cleveland, 3rd Saturday of every month~
Read and revel in five novels and a book of short stories by the culture-crossing, genre-bending, Nobel Prize winning Kazuo Ishiguro, led by expert reader and Loganberry bookseller, Toni K. Thayer.

A Japanese-British man, Ishiguro explores the experiences and consciousness of characters from a range of gender, cultural, historical, and fantastical perspectives, in stories that include precise psychological realism along with ghosts, ogres, musicians, butlers, and AI. Registered participants will receive a 10% discount on books for the class purchased through Loganberry (or 15% if you buy all 6).

Get more info about the class and enroll here!

LV-The Heart Wants

Local Voices

Ariel Franklin: The Heart Wants
Sunday, January 23, 2022, 2pm ET
~in person at Loganberry~
The screenplay The Heart Wants taps into the life of Marie Morgan, a kind-hearted breath of fresh air to all who know her. Marie’s faith in people and her gift to love anyway shaped the beautiful life she had made for herself but one day everything changes when those very gifts cause her tragic death and she finds herself in heaven. Surprisingly, this is the last place Marie wants to be. She tries to escape her heavenly fate so much so that God opens a portal that leads her to another realm where lost spirits roam. Part of the movie will be shown during the event!

9780062882769

Not YA Average Book Club

*Elizabeth Acevedo: Clap When You Land and Seanan McGuire: Every Heart a Doorway*
Thursday, January 27, 2022, 4pm ET
Open to teens 14-18
~every other month, 4th Thursdays~

This month we're reading not one but TWO books for NYABC! Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo AND Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire

In Clap When You Land,Camino Rios lives for the summers when her father visits her in the Dominican Republic. But this time, on the day when his plane is supposed to land, Camino arrives at the airport to see crowds of crying people. In New York City, Yahaira Rios is called to the principal’s office, where her mother is waiting to tell her that her father, her hero, has died in a plane crash.

In Every Heart a Doorway, Children have always disappeared under the right conditions; slipping through the shadows under a bed or at the back of a wardrobe, tumbling down rabbit holes and into old wells, and emerging somewhere... else. But magical lands have little need for used-up miracle children. Nancy tumbled once, but now she’s back.

We will have a fun discussion and an even more fun activity (please have a writing utensil and paper ready--don't worry this won't be your average classroom activity!)

Register to join the free discussion here!

PBC-Blum

Peculiar Book Club

Deborah Blum: The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York
Thursday, January 27, 2022 7pm ET
~2nd Thursdays + 4th Thursdays, via Zoom~
Finally, a book club for the Peculiars! Join host and local author of Mr Humble and Dr. Butcher, Dr. Brandy Schillace for book club dates with your favorite authors of strange history, medical marvels, and weird science.You'll get to meet the author and participate in the discussion–so come with questions!

For this edition of the Peculiar Book Club, Pulitzer Prize–winning science writer Deborah Blum, author of The Poisoner's Handbook, follows New York City's first forensic scientists to discover the chemistry of murder. More information can be found on the Peculiar Book Club website. Register for the event here, and get a signed copy of the book from Loganberry's online store.

NOBS Forum

Annual Show & Tell
Thursday, January 27, 2022, 7:30pm ET
~online, via Zoom~
Join NOBS for their annual first forum of the year, Show & Tell. Book lovers of all ages have their favorites, whether a treasured old copy of a classic or a lovely edition of a new book or a book left to you by a beloved relative. Now’s the time to share these interesting tomes and their stories with other bibliophiles at this Show & Tell session. There’s always something to learn and some great books to discuss.

If you need a link to attend email Freddy@logan.com and a Zoom link will be provided before the event!

17717041

Lit Cleveland

Masterclass with Echo Brown
Saturday, January 29, 2022, 10:30am
~A Ticketed Masterclass Hosted by Lit Cleveland~
What happens when you infuse memoir and magical realism, like in Echo Brown's new book The Chosen One? You get something new, interesting, and bold that's rooted in YOUR story. Through partner exercises, group sharing, and lesson modules, we will work toward creating a piece of writing that combines magic and memoir. In this class, author Echo Brown will discuss:

▪ Memoir and magic writing tips and techniques
▪ Navigating personal experiences for dynamic memories
▪ Developing systems of magic
▪ Creating compelling, well-rounded protagonists based on your own story
▪ The fusion point between memoir and magic
Memoir and magic writing tips and techniques
Navigating personal experiences for dynamic memories
Developing systems of magic
Creating compelling, well-rounded protagonists based on your own story
The fusion point between memoir and magic

The class fee will include a copy of Echo Brown's new book, The Chosen One!

Echo Brown is the award-winning author of Black Girl Unlimited: The Remarkable Story of a Teenage Wizard, Rise: A Feminist Book Project Selection,; as well as The Chosen One: A First-Generation Ivy League. A performer and playwright, Echo created the acclaimed one-woman show Black Virgins Are Not for Hipsters. She is a Dartmouth alumna and the first female college graduate in her family.

This is a paid event. Enroll at Literary Cleveland.

Golden age

Classic Crime Book Club

Led by Ellie Strong (proprietor of Strong Bindery)
Sunday, January 30-Sunday April 24, 2pm ET
~Every other Sunday~
Join Bookbinder (and veteran bookseller) Ellen Strong for a whirlwind tour of the classics of the Golden Age of Crime Writing (1920-1941). We'll meet virtually every other Sunday for the next few months to discuss this list of novels, inspired by this New York Times article.
1. Agatha Christie: The Mysterious Affair at Styles
2. Gladys Mitchell: The Saltmarsh Murders
3. Dorothy Sayers: Whose Body
4. Margery Allingham: The Death of a Ghost
5. Dashiell Hammett: Maltese Falcon
6. S. S. Van Dine: The Kidnap Murder Case
7. Georges Simenon: The Crossroad Murders
8. Georgette Heyer: They Found Him Dead
9. Ellery Queen: The Dutch Shoe Mystery
10. John Dickson Carr: Hag's Nook
11. Michel Innes The Secret Vanguard
12. Ngaio Marsh: Death of the Dancing Footman

*Join for any or all of the meetings! Register for the Zoom link here.*

1615824568-51NkOd6vKgL

Berry Good Book Club

Marilynne Robinson: The Gilead Quartet
Wednesday, February 2, 7:30pm
~1st Wednesdays, via Zoom~
This month's bookseller host: Freddy (with guest host, Loganberry customer Larry Anderson!)
You already love our booksellers' recommendations: what could be better than a chance to come back after you've read what they recommend to talk about it? That's the idea behind our newest monthly book club, Berry Good Books. Every month, a different Loganberry Bookseller will recommend a favorite book and lead a discussion with community members!

Bookseller Freddy shares the world of Marilynne Robinson's Gilead Quartet, constituted by the beloved books_Gilead, Home, Lila,_ and Jack

The Gilead books follow the interconnected lives and loves of one American family in a small Iowa town, struggling with the ordinary and the eternal. The narratives of all four books can be read in any order, overlapping and widening.

Register here to join this free discussion and click here to purchase a copy of the book.

March's Berry Good Book Club (Wed. 3/2 at 7:30pm): The Secret of Superhuman Strength by Alison Bechdel with Bookseller Julie

Other Offerings

IMG 4555

Collectible Books for Any Budget

An apt title and a delightful story in this first edition of The Tough Winter by Robert Lawson! We continue to expand and update our collectible editions listings online weekly. You can also email wendy@logan.com for a personalized suggestion for any budget!

64fdc0cd84df37be08c4f9926cf9faca

You're Selling Books? We're Buying!

On February 1 we will resume buying used books from the public after our holiday hiatus! But be sure to make a reservation. Click here for the 2022 protocols.

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455

Ways to shop and support Loganberry

▪ Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books for sale online expands every week! Since it's only a fraction of what we have in-store, if you don't see something, email or call and we'll happily check. We also have great Loganberry T-shirts, totes, mugs, and more!
▪ Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
▪ Book of the Month Club: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for for 25 years! If you'd like to sign up or ask any questions, please email julie@logan.com.
▪ Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
▪ Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm
▪ Ebooks from Loganberry.
▪ Follow us on Social Media: **Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**
Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books for sale online expands every week! Since it's only a fraction of what we have in-store, if you don't see something, email or call and we'll happily check. We also have great Loganberry T-shirts, totes, mugs, and more!
Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
Book of the Month Club: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for for 25 years! If you'd like to sign up or ask any questions, please email julie@logan.com.
Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm
Ebooks from Loganberry.
Follow us on Social Media: **Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**

Read along with our booksellers: Great Reads to Start the New Year

Purchase any book below by clicking on its title!

9781982168438

Harriett is reading Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr: "Anthony Doerr's long-awaited follow-up after All the Light You Cannot See is a love letter to literature, and especially to low-brow comedy in an old-fashioned technology. With a past-present-future interspersed format, we follow 5 distinct storylines, with a surprising twist at the end, and a linking across the centuries that it as incredulous as it is simple. This is hope at its most basic, most accessible level, and exactly what we need to read, what we need to hear, what we need."

91Cd4UUgrIL

Freddy is reading The Sweetness of Water by Nathan Harris: "This debut novel is a historical fiction page turner that begins at the end of the War between the States. Discovering a new young author a great way to start the year."

51iL0U-M6lS. SX327 BO1 204 203 200

Wendy is reading Appleseed by Matt Bell: "This is 'cli-fi' at its best. Huge in scope, and with unforgettable characters, Bell’s book weaves together themes of climate change and human exploitation of our planet’s resources. You’ll never look at an apple in the the same way after you finish this heart pounding book."

9780679720409 0c953

Miesha is reading A Rage in Harlem by Chester Himes and Who Is Maud Dixon? by Alexandra Andrews: "Nobody sees themself as the mark, the simpleton signaling an easy swindle for a hustler’s con game. Chester Himes and Alexandra Andrews place the mark as the main character in their can’t-put-it-down crime thrillers. The scales fall off the protagonist’s eyes, but will they figure out how to reverse the sting or at least get out alive? These are perfect thrillers for fans of Patricia Highsmith and Elmore Leonard.

53251982. SY475

Elisabeth is reading Peach Blossom Paradise by Ge Fe: "I'm always looking for more literary historical fiction and more translated literature from outside a European context, and this one is both! A deceptively simple story of a family living in late 19th c. small town China when the last Chinese emperor set about humanitarian reforms--and when many other factions and revolutionaries set about to oppose him. The heroine Xiume comes of age in this brief, rarely explored epoch when everything seemed possible."

617HMXB-6OS. SX258 BO1 204 203 200

Toni is reading (and listening to!): McSweeney's Quarterly #64: The Audio Issue"This is a super cool treasure trove, unlike any literary journal you've ever read (or heard). Combining art, fiction, audio, and a slew of unclassifiable print objects in a custom box, McSweeney's 64 is a riotous exploration of audiovisual storytelling, coproduced with Radiotopia from PRX (home to Song Exploder, Criminal, Ear Hustle, and more)."

belt-colophon-with-type 720x

John is reading books from Belt Publishing: "One of Cleveland's brightest bookish stars, Belt Publishing was founded in 2013 by Anne Trubeck. Belt is unique in its focus on both new and influential voices from the Rust Belt and the Midwest. Some of their outstanding titles -- and recommended reading -- include: Cleveland Anthology; _Rust Belt Arcana; Rust Belt Vegan Kitchen; Black in the Middle_; and Rust Belt Femme. Be on the lookout for Rust Belt author events & promotions at Loganberry in 2022!

91ABnpxiy L

Julie is reading Lore Olympus by Rachel Smythe: "I don't normally go for romance books, but the graphic novel art style and retelling of one of my favorite stories in mythology intrigued me. I was not disappointed; this book is a nice way to start off the New Year with warm fuzzies in your heart!

Good to know:

▪ Open for curbside pick-up only through January 17
▪ Resuming 01/18, Open Tues-Sat 10-6 and Sun 12-5
▪ Masks required
▪ It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!
Open for curbside pick-up only through January 17
Resuming 01/18, Open Tues-Sat 10-6 and Sun 12-5
Masks required
It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries