From: Loganberry Books <loganberrybooks@gmail.com>
Subject: Loganberry News March 2022
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 22:17:27 +0000
To: Harriett Logan <books@logan.com>
Loganberry News March 2022

Like   Tweet
shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News March 2022

Springing into what's next

Something about 2020 that lingers too long
As our January Jobs stretch into March
And the snow melts and drifts and gathers again
While we try to “normalize” and yearn for company
We can still be your Third Place
We take pride in our regional rust
The spring bulbs will bloom soon
The books are our forever flowers.

Events

AA-Withani2

Annex Gallery

Irma Withani: The Venus Series
March 1-28, 2022
~monthly~
Artist Opening Reception: Friday, March 4 from 6-8pm Inspired by the natural beauty of the human form, Irma Withani illustrates the female body's transformation over time and the loveliness of diverse body shapes, absent the head and feet.

Expanding the narrow, standard definition of an attractive figure, and hoping to enhance positive body image at various stages of life, these impressive, bold paintings exquisitely convey the beauty and aesthetic appeal of the female body in all its forms, and celebrate the goddess of love and beauty apparent in everyone.

superhumanstrength

Berry Good Book Club

Alison Bechdel: The Secret to Superhuman Strength
Wednesday, March 2, 7:30pm
~1st Wednesdays, via Zoom~
This month's bookseller host: Julie
You already love our booksellers' recommendations: what could be better than a chance to come back after you've read what they recommend to talk about it? That's the idea behind our newest monthly book club, Berry Good Books. Every month, a different Loganberry Bookseller will recommend a favorite book and lead a discussion with community members!

This month, Bookseller Julie shares Alison Bechdel's most recent graphic memoir, The Secret to Superhuman Strength. Julie says "I picked this book because Alison Bechdel is one of my favorite storytellers of all time. Her third graphic novel memoir focuses on herself for a change, presumably about how her commitment to various exercise trends has changed over the years, but it goes so much deeper than that. Learn her take on aging, ego, the universe, and more and join the discussion about her use of graphic novel format as well as these topics."

Register here to join this free discussion and click here to purchase a copy of the book.

April's Berry Good Book Club (Wed. 4/6 at 7:30pm): The Midnight Library by Matt Haig with Bookseller Wendy and special guest, Rev. Rachel Hollander

PBC-Gibson Reisman

Peculiar Book Club

The Corseted Skeleton and The Unseen Body
Thursday, March 10, 2022 7pm ET
~2nd Thursdays + 4th Thursdays, via Zoom~
Finally, a book club for the Peculiars! Join host and local author of Mr Humble and Dr. Butcher, Dr. Brandy Schillace, for book club dates with your favorite authors of strange history, medical marvels, and weird science.You'll get to meet the author and participate in the discussion–so come with questions!

For this edition of the Peculiar Book Club, Brandy is joined by two authors: Rebecca Gibson, author of The Corseted Skeleton, and Dr. Jonathan Reisman, author of The Unseen Body. Want to learn more and meet the authors? Register for the event here, and be sure to check out the Peculiar Book Club website for more information. Get signed copies of the books from Loganberry's online store or call us at (216) 795-9800

broadsides-s

Broadsides & Ephemera

Community Poetry Reading featuring: Halle Preneta
Thursday, March 10, 7:30-9pm ET
~second Thursdays, via Zoom~
Halle Prenata (she/her) enjoys writing short stories and poetry and gets her ideas from random life experiences. When she’s not writing, she’s either watching YouTube or playing Animal Crossing. She’s had works published in various literary magazines such as The Hearth Magazine, Write Now Lit, and CP Quarterly and her debut chapbook <3: Love Poems is out with Alien Buddha Press. Her Twitter handle is @YaTheatreNerd and you can check out more of her work here.

Following a 30 minute reading, we will have a Q&A with Halle to learn more about her and her creative process.

Connect to the Zoom meeting
Zoom ID: 853 3194 6894 pw:weluvotis

LV-Everyday Woodworking

Local Voices

Rex Krueger: Everyday Woodworking
Sunday, March 13, 2022, 1pm
~in person at Loganberry~
Join us for a woodworking demonstration at Loganberry Books with Rex Krueger, local author of Everyday Woodworking!

Lots of people want to try woodworking, but they get intimidated by dangerous power tools, difficult techniques, and a fear of failing. Good news: there are lots of ways to work with wood and anyone can get a few tools together to start making projects.

Rex Krueger is the founder of Rex Krueger Fabrication, a custom furniture company that also makes unusual objects in metal and plastic. Rex teaches craftsmanship in person and online with his popular YouTube channel.

Golden age

Classic Crime Book Club

Led by Ellie Strong (proprietor of Strong Bindery)
Sunday, February 13-Sunday April 30, 2pm ET
~Every other Sunday~
Join Bookbinder (and veteran bookseller) Ellen Strong for a whirlwind tour of the classics of the Golden Age of Crime Writing (1920-1941). We'll meet virtually every other Sunday for the next few months to discuss this list of novels, inspired by this New York Times article.
3/13: Dorothy Sayers: Whose Body
3/27: S. S. Van Dine: The Kidnap Murder Case

*Join for any or all of the meetings! Register for the Zoom link here.*

evelyn hardcastle

Not YA Average Book Club

The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle
Thursday, March 24, 2022, 4pm ET
Open to teens 14-18
~every other month, 4th Thursdays~
Aiden Bishop knows the rules. Evelyn Hardcastle will die every day until he can identify her killer and break the cycle. But every time the day begins again, Aiden wakes up in the body of a different guest at Blackheath Manor. And some of his hosts are more helpful than others.

For fans of Claire North, and Kate Atkinson, The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle is a breathlessly addictive mystery that follows a race against time to find a killer, with an astonishing time-turning twist that means nothing and no one are quite what they seem.

We will have a fun discussion and an even more fun activity (please have a writing utensil and paper ready--don't worry this won't be your average classroom activity!) Register to join the free discussion here!

NOBS Forum

Herb Ascherman: Photo Projects and the Books that Inspired Them
Thursday, March 24, 2022, 7:30pm ET
~online, via Zoom~
Join Herb Ascherman on an illuminating journey into his experiences as Cleveland’s most prominent portrait photographer. Since opening his portrait studio in 1975, Herb has photographed international leaders such as Henry Kissinger and Presidents Carter, Reagan, and Bush Sr.; more than 200 Cleveland area artists, 750 Northern Plains Native American persons, and, for twenty years, he served as the portrait photographer to the Cleveland Orchestra. Herb has produced well over 9,000 black and white film-based portraits in his 47-year career. In addition, he has a library of 2,387 books on or about photography.

If you need a link to attend email Freddy@logan.com and a Zoom link will be provided before the event!

ediblebooks enews

Edible Books Festival

Saturday, April 2, 2022, 1pm
~annual - online via Jotform~
Even though we can't host Edible Books in-store in the COVID era, we still want to see what book-inspired edibles you're cooking up at home!

As always, you are invited to construct completely edible creations inspired by books. We'll ask you to photograph the edible book (both by itself and with you in the photo) and use those photos to register via our web-form. Invite friends and family anywhere in the world to do a virtual Edible Book Cook-Along and enter along with you! We will donate $1 to the Cleveland Food Bank for each submission!

Entries may be made anytime now until 1pm EDT on Saturday, April 2. Voting will then commence for 24 hours via a link we will post on our Facebook event page and other social media at that time, with winners announced on Sunday afternoon, April 3.

Other Offerings

sale sign 2-430x389

Monthly Sales

Books in the Biography section are 20% off this month! Or, for even bigger savings, buy any three used books from the biography section and get 30% off all three!

Whether you enjoy lives of the rich and famous or discovering lives long hidden from history, this sale is the one for you!

0

Lit Cleveland

Reader Series: Kazuo Ishiguro with Loganberry Bookseller Toni
Saturday, January 22-Saturday June 25, 2022
~Ticketed class hosted by Lit Cleveland, 3rd Saturday of every month~
Read and revel in five novels and a book of short stories by the culture-crossing, genre-bending, Nobel Prize winning Kazuo Ishiguro, led by expert reader and Loganberry bookseller, Toni K. Thayer.

A Japanese-British man, Ishiguro explores the experiences and consciousness of characters from a range of gender, cultural, historical, and fantastical perspectives, in stories that include precise psychological realism along with ghosts, ogres, musicians, butlers, and AI. Registered participants will receive a 10% discount on books for the class purchased through Loganberry (or 15% if you buy all 6).

Get more info about the class and enroll here!

9780593321447

Preorder and Save 10%!

If you've been enjoying the televised miniseries of Station Eleven, you won't want to miss out on author Emily St. John Mandel's new book, coming April 5! The Sea of Tranquility spans three hundred years of human loss and love: from a violinist in the Canadian forest in 1912 to a colony on the moon 300 years later--it's a beautiful novel not to be missed. And if you preorder now, you'll save 10% off the cover price and we'll have a signed copy waiting for you on April 5th.

PS: if you haven't read Station Eleven yet, why not start it now? It's been a firm Loganberry Books staff favorite for years!

bbb graphic

Broaden Your Bookshelf Reading Challenge

January 2022-January 2023
~year long~
Join us on a free yearlong reading adventure to read more, read deeper, read bigger, read wider.

Be one of the first 100 people to register for Broaden Your Bookshelf and get a 10% coupon for your next Loganberry purchase in store or online!
* 20 prompts per quarter + quarterly prizes!
* Monthly updates, including a Bonanza map of logged book settings!
* Social media challenges!
For more info click here.

Martineau excerpt3

Collectible Books for Any Budget

In celebration of Women's History Month, an extraordinary piece of history: this rare 1837 edition of early British sociologist Harriet Martineau's Society in America. We continue to expand and update our collectible editions listings online weekly--and our list of modern first editions is now fully listed online! You can also email wendy@logan.com for a personalized suggestion for any budget!

unnamed

Small Press Highlight

Microcosm Publishing is Loganberry's small press highlight for March: they're our hip source for zines, and although they are based in Portland, OR, they recently opened a warehouse in Cleveland! Primarily featuring books on self-care/mental health, social justice, DIY, and gender/sex, as well as some really out there stuff (sexy werewolves and bicycle feminist scifi, anyone?) there's probably something interesting in our zine rack just waiting for you to meet it. Some favorite titles currently have in stock include:

▪ Street Journalist: Understand and Report the News in Your Community;
▪ Healing Your Magical Body with Plants and Minerals
▪ Make Mead, Not War: The Making and Sharing of Honey Wine
▪ What the Ladies Have to Say: Activists in Palestine, Indonesia, and the Philippines;
▪ Unfuck Your Anger: Using Science to Understand Frustration, Rage, and Forgiveness
Street Journalist: Understand and Report the News in Your Community;
Healing Your Magical Body with Plants and Minerals
Make Mead, Not War: The Making and Sharing of Honey Wine
What the Ladies Have to Say: Activists in Palestine, Indonesia, and the Philippines;
Unfuck Your Anger: Using Science to Understand Frustration, Rage, and Forgiveness
64fdc0cd84df37be08c4f9926cf9faca

You're Selling Books? We're Buying!

We've now resumed buying used books from the public after our holiday hiatus! But be sure to register with us in advance! Click here for the 2022 protocols.

469-4698575 tall-stack-of-books-transparent-hd-png-download

Bulk Order Discounts

Does your church, synagogue, school, or company need to order 10 or more copies of a book for a group read or special event? Order from Loganberry and receive a discount! We can even deliver to your location free of charge! Contact elisabeth@logan.com for more details!

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455
▪ Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
▪ Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
▪ Book of the Month Club: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for for 25 years!
▪ Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
▪ Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm
▪ Ebooks from Loganberry.
▪ **Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**
Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
Book of the Month Club: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for for 25 years!
Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm
Ebooks from Loganberry.
**Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**

Read along with our booksellers: Black History Month

Purchase any book below by clicking on its title!

71MNuJ4phcL. AC UL600 SR600 600

Harriett is reading Fight Night by Miriam Toews: "Despite the life-and-death situations this three-generational trio of characters encounter, there is more pure joy and laugh-out-loud humor in this tale than anything I’ve read in years. Grandma is a Russian immigrant and Canadian Mennonite escapee; pregnant mom suffers PTSD after a bad film job; and 9 year old Swiv, our storyteller, meets life head-on. I’m glad I took the time to get to know her."

56161419

Julie is reading: Persephone's Children by Rowan McCandless: "Rowan uses a delightful interplay of poetry, family history, and thematic storytelling to document her upbringing as a biracial queer girl and then how she got out of an abusive relationship. This book is meant to be savored; if you're looking for something different, the writing will sweep you away."

download

Miranda is reading Wonder Women: 25 Innovators, Inventors, and Trailblazers Who Changed History and Girl Squads: 20 Female Friendships That Changed History by Sam Maggs: "I love both these books by Sam Maggs because we read about important women (not just cis-women) who aren't always super popular. They read like you're sitting around talking to your friends!"

91vNy1TSjuL

Rachel is reading Wet Moon by Sophie Campbell: "This is an envelope-pushing, slice-of-life series featuring developed, queer femme characters of varying body types. Campbell is a trans woman, and her informed ideas on gender and community pull the reader into this well-drawn story of the struggle to find self and belonging."

download

John is reading: The Woman They Could Not Silence by Kate Moore: "Now that it's available in paperback, there is no reason not to buy this book and dive into a spellbinding true tale of persecution and injustice done to one woman: Elizabeth Packard. A true story set in the mid-to-late 19th century, the book chronicles the story of the irrepressible and ultimately triumphant Packard, who fought for her own freedom and then for the freedom of others from the repressive laws of the time."

71bN0xNwi5L

Miesha is reading A Children’s Bible by Lydia Millet: "This 2020 National Book Award Finalist is a dreamlike novel with young protagonists facing a world ravaged by climate change. Beautiful and strange scenes call upon biblical ideas about stewardship – of the environment and of people – without preachiness. It’s one of the most uplifting and hopeful novels I’ve ever read: a well-written book that’s a little different from the standard."

61612511

Leigh is reading Walking with the Great Apes by Sy Montgomery: "A fascinating look at the women scientists who have studied the three major great apes through immersive observation, thereby making major contributions to the study of biology, animal behavior, and evolution."

9780593237892

*Sarah is reading: When The Stars Go Dark by Paula McLain and Honor by Thrity Umrigar:* "These are both unputdownable reads by local authors! In her latest book Paula McLain gives us a mystery (or two or three), and a look into the lives of characters who have become victims because of their past, and a detective who needs to solve these crimes, and understand her past in order to move forward. In Honor, Thrity Umrigar will break your heart, then give you hope that people can and will fight for their rights. Two women of very different cultures and castes make dangerous choices, for love and for justice."

51oV7AWnikL. SX359 BO1 204 203 200

*Toni is reading Embodied: An Intersectional Feminist Comics Poetry Anthology edited by Wendy & Tyler Chin-Tanner :* "I love all of the crossing of boundaries - genre, gender, race, class, aesthetic, and probably more - that happens in this gorgeously illustrated book. So many styles and voices considering such a range of experiences, challenging us all to expand our understanding and empathy with creative joy. Complete with a pull out poster!"

41vfHhfQ8NL. SX311 BO1 204 203 200

*Wendy is reading: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont by Elizabeth Taylor* (the author, not the actress!): "When Mrs. Palfrey checks into the residential Claremont Hotel to live out the rest of her days, she encounters a cast of fellow residents who prove worthy of her dry wit and wry observations. Little did she (or we) know that life at the Claremont would be so arduous!"

Good to know:

▪ Open Tues-Sat 10-6 and Sun 12-5
▪ Masks required
▪ It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!
Open Tues-Sat 10-6 and Sun 12-5
Masks required
It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries