From: Loganberry Books <loganberrybooks@gmail.com>
Subject: Loganberry News March 2023
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 19:05:33 +0000
To: Harriett Logan <books@logan.com>
Loganberry News March 2023

shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News March 2023

The thing about daydreaming is you can control the story and travel to the places you want to explore. Winter is made for this kind of travel. The light is just beginning to morph into spring now, but we’ll have a couple April Fool’s before we get there. You know what you need? A good book to spark your imagination. Let us help find the perfect one for you. Bon voyage!

Visiting Author Events

CarterBays

Carter Bays: The Mutual Friend
Wednesday, April 5, 2023, 7pm
~in-store~
Shaker Heights' own Carter Bays (co-creator of the hit show How I Met Your Mother) is coming to Loganberry to read from his heartwarming and hilarious novel The Mutual Friend! He'll be joined in conversation with local novelist, Susan Petrone (The Heebie-Jeebie Girl, and others). Fun fact: both Bays and Petrone are former winners of Dobama Theatre's Marilyn Bianchi Kids' Playwriting Festival, and a representative for Dobama will also be here! Join us for an unforgettable and laugh-out-loud evening.

THIS IS A TICKETED EVENT: One ticket provides admission and a signed copy of The Mutual Friend (at a 10% discount). If you already own the book, your ticket can be exchanged for store credit. Buy your ticket here.

od-recolor-original-colors-002-copy orig

Origami Dogs: A Short Story Evening with Noley Reid, Michael Credico & Larisse Mondok
Monday, March 27, 2023, 6:30pm
~in-store~
In celebration of Noley Reid's new short story collection, Origami Dogs about humans and the dogs who love them, Loganberry is pleased to host a special evening of short story readings and conversation with Noley Reid and her fellow fiction writers Michael Credico and Larisse Mondok.

Noley Reid's fourth book, the short story collection, Origami Dogs published in February 2023. She is the author of the novels Pretend We Are Lovely and In the Breeze of Passing Things and another story collection, So There!.

Local Authors

Northern Ohio Authors Guild Signing 1

Northern Ohio Authors Guild Signing
Saturday, March 4, 12pm
~in-store~
Join a group of authors from the historic Firelands of Northern Ohio as they gather to showcase their various titles!

We'll be welcoming Emilia Rosa, author of Finding Cristina; Wendy Fedan, author of Fighting the Darkness; Lou Masterson, author of Hostage Intervention; Richard Norgard, author of Road Kill; and Patrick O'Keefe, author of Cold Air Return.

LV-Identifiable

Julia "JT" Tvardovskaya: Identifiable
Sunday, March 5th, 3pm
~in-store~
Identifiable is a science fiction novel about people ascribing to, or contradicting, narratives—their darkness,their shortcomings, as well as their capacity to love. It is a Winner of the 2022 Book Fest Awards; Winner of the 2022 Page Turner Best in Genre Award and a Finalist of the 2022 American Fiction Award.

JT has creatively overlapped her passions for both storytelling and making lasting global change. She is an author, a thespian both on the stage and behind the curtain, and shares her foreign relations knowledge and business acumen with globally-minded nonprofits and businesses that align with her values.

Book Clubs & Discussion Groups

9781324003489

Peculiar Book Club

Florence Williams: Heartbreak: A Personal and Scientific Journey
Thursday, March 9, 7pm
~online~
Peculiar Book Club is the esteemed home of the quirky, quizzical, curious, and bizarre! Join host Brandy Schillace twice a month to meet authors, discuss books, listen to music, make cocktails, and so much more!

Join Brandy for a conversation with Florence Williams to will discuss the science behind sadness and her book, Heartbreak.

Get more information about the virtual event here and purchase a copy of Heartbreak from Loganberry here.

uncommon

Queer Book Club

Ryka Aoki: Light From Uncommon Stars
Thursday, March 16, 7pm
~bi-monthly, in-store~
Join us for the launch of our new bookclub focused on books by queer writers, meeting every other month on the third Thursday.

To kick off, we'll be reading Ryka Aoki's fantasy novel Light from Uncommon Stars, a funny, heartwarming and utterly unique saga of two women, seven violinists, one deal with the devil, and one intergalactic donut shop in California's San Gabriel Valley, a rich heartland of Asian American culture.

SAVE THE DATE for April's Book Club, For the Thrill of Lit, on Thursday, 4/20 at 7pm where we'll be reading Alma Katsu's chilling alternate history The Hunger!

PBC-Kelly

Peculiar Book Club

Kate Kelly: Ordinary Equality: The Fearless Women & Queer People Who Shaped the US Constitution and the Equal Rights Amendment
Thursday, March 23, 7pm
~virtual~
This edition of the Peculiar Bookclub features Kate Kelly, podcaster and author of Ordinary Equality, which digs into the fascinating and little-known history of the women and queer people who have helped shape the U.S. Constitution for more than 200 years.

Get more information about the virtual event here and purchase a copy of Ordinary Equality from Loganberry Books here.

unnamed

NOBS Forum

Ron Hill: Documenting Doc Savage
Thursday, March 23, 7pm
in-store and online
In 2022, Ron Hill, a local commercial artist and writer, started on a new adventure: documenting the “creators, collectors and characters” who keep the legacy of Doc Savage alive. Ron’s passion for a 1930s-era pulp hero has led him to dive into the wild world of pulp fandom. Ron will be sharing clips of his developing film, We Are Doc Savage: A Documentary on Fandom, as well as books from his 2,000-book collection of Doc Savage, science fiction and fantasy books; a library which dates back to his grandfather’s early edition hardcover of Tarzan of the Apes from 1911.

Join us in-store or online here (Meeting ID: 890 0959 5786, Passcode: 270002)

9780345396815

Murmurations Book Club at Abide Yoga

Clarissa Pinkola Estes: Women Who Run with the Wolves
Friday, March 24, 6pm
~in person at Abide: 13001 Larchmere Blvd~
Our neighbors at Abide Yoga next door to us on Larchmere Blvd host Murmurations, a hybrid yoga class and book club and we offer participants 10% off featured titles!

This month's book, Women Who Run with the Wolves, is a classic of feminism and mythology, inviting readers to connect with ancient role models and ancestors who embody the "Wild Woman" archetype.

To register for the book club and yoga class click here.

To order a copy of the book from Loganberry for mailing or store pickup for 10% off, click here.

Community Arts & Culture

Katsaros PromotionImage

Annex Gallery

Teresa Katsaros
March 2-April 2, 2023
Opening reception: Thursday, March 2, 6 - 8pm
~monthly~
Come celebrate Women's History Month with a beautiful new Annex Gallery exhibit from local artist Teresa Katsaros.

Teresa Katsaros is an acrylic and mixed-media artist from Wadsworth, Ohio. Each of her paintings begins with the title and is inspired by a phrase or a quote, sometimes just a word. Pictured here, "Optimism."

Sister-Singers

International Women's Day

Fundraiser for Sister Singers Festival
Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 10am-6pm
Our fundraiser in honor of International Women's Day this year is for the Sister Singers Network Choral Festival. Every four years, a national festival of workshops and concerts brings women's choral groups together to celebrate, learn, network, and perform. This year the Festival comes to Cleveland, and on July 1st, the Festival will present We Rock the World, a concert at Playhouse Square. The 2023 Festival is hosted by Windsong, Cleveland's Feminist Chorus.

10% of Loganberry's in-store & online sales on 3/8/2023 will benefit the Sisters Singers Network Choral Festival 2023. Join us in song!

broadsides-s

Broadsides & Ephemera

Featured Reader: Marcus Bales
Thursday, March 9, 7pm
~in-store - 2nd Thursdays~
A practitioner of meter and rhyme, Marcus Bales attempts to render formal poetry at once intriguing and accessible for the contemporary reader. He has been writing poems, often humorous and political, at a brisk pace and giving them away via social media for several years. He is the author of the poetry collection 51 Poems (2016), and lives in Cleveland, Ohio.

torte-M

Edible Book Festival

Now through Saturday, April 1, 12pm
Voting runs 4/1 at noon EST - 4/2 at noon EST
~virtual~
For the 20th year in a row, we're inviting you to construct edible creations inspired by books at home and share them in our virtual Edible Book Festival!

Enter here anytime up until noon EST on Saturday, April 1. Voting will begin at 12pm EST on 4/1/2023 for 24 hours via a link we will post at that time on our homepage (loganberrybooks.com) and social media, with winners announced Sunday afternoon.

Invite friends and family anywhere in the world to enter along with you. You'll photograph the edible book (both by itself and with you in the photo) and use those photos to submit. We will donate $1 to the Cleveland Food Bank for each submission!

The International Edible Book Festival started in 2000 and has been gaining popularity each year. Loganberry Books and Strong Bindery have sponsored the Cleveland event since 2004. Read about the tradition here.

Sales, Specials, and FYIs

AA21Front

Author Alley Applications Are Live!

Our most popular event of the year, bringing together authors from across Ohio to meet and greet readers is back, and this year will take place across four Saturdays, June-September. Find out more and apply to participate here!

download

On Sale This Month

During the month of March, our Feminism and LGBTQ+ Sections will be 20% off! Now's the time to stock up on everything from Feminist Theory, Queer History and Memoir, and more!

Perkins cover

Collectible Books for Any Budget!

An absolute treat for any lover of adventure stories, friendship memoirs, or women's political history, The White Heart of Mojave is American suffragist Edna Brush Perkins 1922 account of a roadtrip she and her good friend Charlotte Hannahs Jordan took into the California Desert.

We continue to expand and update our collectible editions listings online weekly--and our list of modern first editions is now fully listed online! You can also email wendy@logan.com for a personalized suggestion for any budget!

Two-Dollar-Radio-Radio-About grande

Small Press Spotlight

Two Dollar Radio is an independent publishing house (and bookstore-cum-vegan-cafe!) located in Columbus, Ohio “with the mission to reaffirm the cultural and artistic spirit of the publishing industry.” They focus on publishing works that test the boundaries and limits of literature, and have even begun to host a music, literature, and film festival!

They have special focuses in veganism (see Two Dollar Radio Guide to Vegan Cooking) and current events (like My Volcano), as well as marginalized voices (like She Is Haunted).

64fdc0cd84df37be08c4f9926cf9faca

Used Book Buying

Mondays and Fridays are our buying days, but please call us ahead of time to tell us when you hope to come in. As usual, we offer cash or 20% more in store credit for used and collectible books that we deem saleable, and you'll need to take away any we decline to purchase. You can find more details about our buying procedures here. We look forward to seeing your treasures!

469-4698575 tall-stack-of-books-transparent-hd-png-download

Bulk Order Discounts

Does your church, synagogue, school, or company need to order 10 or more copies of a book for a group read or special event? Order from Loganberry and receive a discount! We can even deliver to your location free of charge! Contact elisabeth@logan.com for more details!

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455
▪ Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
▪ Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
▪ Loganberry Curated Reads: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
▪ Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
▪ Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm, including a list of selected Black authors.
▪ **Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**
Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
Loganberry Curated Reads: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm, including a list of selected Black authors.
**Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**

Read along with our booksellers for Women's History Month!

Click any title below to purchase a book for mailing or in-store pickup!

9780812997927

*Harriett recommends Ancestor Trouble by Maud Newton* "I didn’t intend to take a dive into genealogy, but I’ve been a fan of Maud Newton’s writing for years, so I did. It was a deeper dive than expected, full of eccentric characters, plot twists, technology, trends, psychology, creativity, and emotional reckoning. And like the best personal stories, there’s something universal in the telling."

9780399562969

*Wendy recommends Horse by Geraldine Brooks:* "Brooks' newest novel gallops through time telling the story of Lexington, the fastest horse in history, and the enslaved man who raised, trained, and loved him. Brooks brilliantly weaves into the narrative a present-day story of art, science, and the effects of racism."

9781982195892

Devon recommends: Rated X: How Porn Liberated Me From Hollywood by Maitland Ward: "Rated X is an iconic piece of literature. Maitland Ward gives a glimpse of how Hollywood really treats young actresses, and details how she made her way out of that toxic environment. This is a memoir of empowerment and determination. It may not be for everyone, but those who are interested will surely not be disappointed!"

9780804011433

*Elisabeth recommends The Wife of Martin Guerre by Janet Lewis:* "You may have never heard of this little powerhouse of a novella that The Atlantic called "one of the most significant short novels in English," but once you read it you're unlikely to forget. In spare, perfect language, this retelling of a true story from 16th century France unfolds like an original Grimm fairy tale--not because of anything supernatural, but because of the flow of the story itself: implacable, inevitable, unputdownable."

9780060856267

Sarah recommends First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung: "This modern classic of memoir and war writing is the amazing story of a young girl's struggle and survival in the Cambodian Killing Fields. It speaks for the power of women, and family, and hope."

9780374600693

Elijah recommends This Afterlife: Selected Poems by AE Stallings: "The perfect introduction to this accomplished poet and translator, known for her work with traditional poetic forms and techniques."

9780593490143

*Cat recommends I Have Some Questions for You by Rebecca Mikkai:* "A successful podcaster returns to her alma mater to teach students the nuances of media and creating content. Her students decide to delve into the unsolved murder of their teacher's long-ago roommate, and the investigation that unfolds causes the protagonist to re-examine beliefs that were once completely solid. A suspenseful, unique look at how media affects our perception of reality."

639BF889-5E3C-4CE9-94AF-3C8F7E29278A-L0-001

Toni recommends Hit Girls: Women of Punk in the USA, 1975-1983 by Jen B. Larson: "As a teenager in the big hair, big shoulder pads, neon-bright, Reagan Youth 1980s, punk was one of my key avenues to liberation. This book celebrates the largely unfamous women in scenes all across the US who made that possible, who refused to be defined by anyone but themselves, who paved the way for riot grrls and the amazing variety of women musicians today. A key part of modern women's history not to be missed."

9780767929714

*Freddy recommends Destiny of the Republic: The Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Death of a President by Candace Millard:* "Candace Millard writes history by setting her subjects in the social and cultural context of their times. This, my favorite of her books, is the history of not just any President, but one of James A. Garfield, a US President from Ohio and specifically from Cleveland. You won't be able to put the book down!"

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries

▪ Open Mon-Wed & Fri-Sat: 10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
▪ Masks required
▪ It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!
Open Mon-Wed & Fri-Sat: 10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
Masks required
It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!

Like   Tweet