From: Loganberry Books <loganberrybooks.gmail.com@bounces.cloud.em.secureserver.net>
Subject: Loganberry News March 2024
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 17:08:47 +0000
To: Harriett Logan <books@logan.com>
Loganberry News March 2024

shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News March 2024

Here comes the sun

This teasing spring weather has me dreaming of spring flowers. I like the headiness of daydreaming, and I know some good books that fit that vibe! Check out Plum City Readings, or Queer Book Club, or Rebel Readers to join us in this headiness of dreamworlds. We're doing a fundraiser for Women’s History Month; our Annex Gallery show celebrates pregnancy; and we're launching a new Storytime for Toddlers. We’re also excited about Pi Day and gearing up for the Total Solar Eclipse (nerds that we are!). I think that about sums us up, at least this month. March on!

Author Events

the-haunting-of-velkwood-9781982172374 hr

Gwendolyn Kiste: Haunting of Velkwood
Wednesday, March 13, 7pm
~in-store~
Join us to celebrate the release of Bram Stoker Award-winner Gwendolyn Kiste's new tale of atmospheric suburban horror, The Haunting of Velkwood, in conversation with fellow horror writer, K.P. Kulski!

Talitha and her two friends escaped their neighborhood twenty years ago, just before it disappeared behind an unexplained--and impenetrable--veil. Now, lured by an offer of payment from a paranormal researcher, Talitha is back. Will she finally get the answers she’s been looking for all these years, or is this just another dead end?

Gwendolyn Kiste is the Lambda Literary and three-time Bram Stoker Award–winning author of The Rust Maidens, Reluctant Immortals, Boneset & Feathers, Pretty Marys All in a Row.

K.P. Kulski is a Korean-American author born in Honolulu, Hawaii. She’s the author of Fairest Flesh and House of Pungsu.

Plum City Reading Square - Mar 24

Lit Cleveland Plum City Reading

Noor Hindi & Ghassan Zeineddine
Tuesday, March 19, 7pm
~in-store~
Join us in welcoming back Lit Cleveland for the first Plum City Reading Series event of 2024 featuring Noor Hindi, author of Dear God, Dear Bones, Dear Yellow, and Ghassan Zeineddine, author of Dearborn, to be immediately followed by an afterparty across the street at the Literary Cleveland Offices (13002 Larchmere).

Noor Hindi is from Akron and now lives in Dearborn, MI. Ghassan Zeineddine lived in Dearborn for three years and is now a professor at Oberlin College.

NOTE: In keeping with Lit Cleveland's mission to ensure diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility, the registration fee for this event is "Pay What You Can." Register for the event here.

9781335014030

Brandy Schillace: The Framed Women of Ardemore House
Thursday, March 28, 7pm
~in-store~
Join us to celebrate local author Brandy Schillace's fiction debut, the delightful cozy mystery The Framed Women of Ardemore House. Brandy will be joined in conversation with local author and founder of The Porchlight Project, James Renner.

The Framed Women of Ardmore House is the first book in a cozy mystery series starring an autistic, hyperlexic book editor who inherits a crumbling English estate, only to find herself at the center of a murder investigation when a family portrait vanishes and a dead body shows up in the manor...

We hope you'll join us!

Local Voices

LV-Hurt-Mountain

Angela Crook: Hurt Mountain
Saturday, March 2, 3pm
~in-store~
When patrolman Brandon Hall comes upon a broken-down car on a Colorado highway, he finds a young girl in a bloodied nightgown at the wheel. In the back seat, a teenage boy's body. The girl will say only one word: Hurt.

When the girl is admitted to the hospital, the doctor on call is Brandon’s ex-wife, Olivia. For Olivia and Brandon, the traumatized teen girl opens a floodgate of memories of their own tragedy—the unsolved disappearance of their eight-year-old daughter, Carly, and the end of their marriage. As Olivia focuses on Jane Doe’s care, Brandon makes a startling discovery that could finally lead to the truth about their missing daughter.

Angela Crook is a novelist and mother, from Cleveland, OH who loves writing dark thrillers that explore of the inner workings of family relationships.

lv-unringing-phones

Lara Lillibridge: The Truth about Unringing Phones
Sunday, March 10, 3pm
~in-store~
When Lara Lillibridge was four years old, her father moved from Rochester, New York, to Anchorage, Alaska, a distance of over 4,000 miles. She spent her childhood chasing after him, flying a quarter of the way around the world to tug at the hem of his jacket. Now that he is in his eighties, she contemplates her obligation to an absentee father in a book of experimental and fragmented essays.

sb 3d sq

Christopher Kuntz: Scott Brown: Cartoonist
Thursday, March 21, 6pm
~in-store~
Scott Brown was an Ohio cartoonist who published cartoons in the Mansfield News Journal and in Colliers, the New Yorker, and the Saturday Evening Post. This new full-color book tells the story of Brown's life with over 130 brilliant renditions of his cartoons, early work, family pictures, artwork, and other memorabilia from museums, magazines, newspapers, and private collections.

Join Christopher Kuntz, Scott Brown's grandson and the author of Scott Brown, Cartoonist to celebrate this comic legacy!

Book Clubs & Discussion Groups

9780062317193

Tales for Toddlers

Paddington by Michael Bond
Wednesday, March 13, 11am
~in-store, 2nd Wednesdays~
Loganberry Books and Patricia Cullen-Murphy, aka Nanny Patricia, present Tales for Toddlers! For kids ages 1-4 years old, this storytime will feature classic British picture books read aloud by Nanny Patricia, meeting the second Wednesday of every month. Tales for Toddlers is a completely free event and all are welcome to attend.

Nanny Patricia has a long history of entertaining and has been featured in films such as The Tale of Desperaux.

This week, we'll be reading Paddington by Michael Bond. Buy your own copy here!

rebelreaders

Rebel Readers

ReShonda Tate: The Queen of Sugar Hill
Sunday, March 17, 3pm
~in-store, 3rd Sundays~
Join hosts Dahlia Fisher & Felicia Haney, women from different backgrounds with shared values, lifting the voices of authors writing at the intersections of race, religion, culture, sexuality through a variety of genres. All are welcome!

For Women's History Month in March, we'll discuss The Queen of Sugar Hill, an historical novel about prolific and controversial actress Hattie McDaniel, the first Black actress to win an Academy Award. Special Guest: Karamu Associate Artistic Director Nina Domingue.

9780312426781

Queer Book Club

Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman
Thursday, March 21, 7pm
~in-store and online~
A novel that became a global phenomenon and an instant classic, Call Me By Your Name is the story of a sudden and powerful romance between an adolescent boy and a summer guest at his parents’ cliffside mansion on the Italian Riviera.

Join us in store or register here for the Zoom link!

Buy a copy of the book for 10% off!

Community Arts & Culture

women-for-women.jpg

International Women's Day Fundraiser

Women for Women International
March 8, 10am-6pm
~in-store and online~
In honor of International Women's Day, we'll be donating 20% of all sales in-store and online on March 8 to aid Women for Women International's important work for women and their families around the world. In-store purchases of over $100 on March 8th will receive a free tote bag!

rs w 1300 h 800 1

Annex Gallery

Janet Century
March 8-31, 2024
~Opening Reception: Sunday, March 17, 2-4pm~
Join us for the opening of our March (Women's History Month) art exhibition, featuring the work of local photographer Janet Century!

This exhibition presents, for the first time, a series of photos of women in their ninth month of pregnancy. Intimate and poignant, these images make visible an aspect of motherhood that is usually hidden from public view.

Janet Century is a full-time photographer based in Cleveland, Ohio. She specializes in taking the best photographs you've ever seen, with emphasis on portraits, outdoor lifestyle, landscapes, and travel imagery and storytelling.

broadsides-lg

Broadsides & Ephemera

Featured Reader: Elsa Johnson
Thursday, March 14, 7pm
~in-store; second Thursdays~
Elsa Johnson has spent most of her life appreciating and living among the verdant hills, valleys, ledges, streams, and bogs of northeastern Ohio, the western edge of the Appalachian foothills. She is a poet, writer, landscape designer, artist, hands-on environmental sustainability advocate, and passionate volunteer in nearby Forest Hill Park. She also writes for and co-edits Gardenopolis Cleveland, a blog about everything green in Cleveland.

We hope you'll join us for this special reading and literary gathering, free and open to all. Poetry Open Mic to follow if you want to share your own work!

Akron 38NOBS ad

NOBS Akron Antiquarian Book & Paper Show

Friday, March 29, 3-8pm
Saturday, March 30, 10am-4pm
~John S. Knight Center, 77 E. Mill Street, Akron, OH~
The 38th Akron Antiquarian Book & Paper Show returns to the John S Knight Center this spring! Don’t miss Northeast Ohio’s ONLY antiquarian book & paper show! It's a one-of-a-kind destination for one-of-a-kind finds, whether you're a veteran collector or a curious novice. Follow NOBS on Facebook for sneak peeks!

image1

Broaden Your Bookshelf 2024

~on Instagram~
Join our reading challenge on Instagram! Find great new book recommendations and enjoy surprises and some small prizes along the way. Show us what you pick using the #BroadenYourBookshelf24 hashtag!

March prompt: Spring! Pick a book that screams all things birds, bees, and butterflies to you, whether because of the title, the topic, or even cover design!

Sales, Specials, and FYIs

download

On Sale This Month

To celebrate Pi Day, we’re offering 20% off on all Math & Science books, all month long! You'll find everything from new releases and hard-to-find vintage treasures, along with biographies and memoirs of famous scientists.

eclipse-glasses-cle

Great Gifts

Total Solar Eclipse
April 8, 3:08pm
We know you're not going to be inside during the solar eclipse, but we have the tools to get you ready! Books for science geeks, pleasure-seeking tourists, and children are all in stock, plus a full line of Celestial Buddies plush, Hurraw sun and moon lip balm, stickers, souvenirs, and of course, eclipse safety glasses! Don't wait for the last minute to get your glasses, come get your Cleveland-branded glasses now while supplies last!

cropped-Sibylline-Press-Logo-Sibyll-Only-150x150

Small Press Focus

Sibylline is a new small press whose four principal partners have decades of combined experience in book business and media. Taking older women's wisdom to heart, the press exclusively focuses on publishing the work of brilliant women over 50. Founder Vicki DeArmon says that Sibylline's goal is "creating a collective strong enough to command attention in the world of giants." Stay tuned as the second season of Sibylline Press books hits the shelves this spring; you can pre-order any (or all!) from us now!

Bowen Bowen s Court cover

Collectible Books

One of our most robust collections of first and early editions by any one author is our shelf by the great 20th C. Anglo-Irish writer Elizabeth Bowen--from short story collections, to essays, novels and memoirs, we've got something by Bowen in almost every genre! Explore the full Bowen catalog here.

Browse our ever-expanding collectible listings here, or email wendy@logan.com for a personalized suggestion for any budget!

64fdc0cd84df37be08c4f9926cf9faca

Used Book Buying

Mondays and Fridays, 10:30am-5:30pm

Please call us before you come in. As usual, we offer cash or 20% more in store credit for used and collectible books that we deem saleable, and you'll need to take away any we decline to purchase. More details about our buying procedures here. We look forward to seeing your treasures!

469-4698575 tall-stack-of-books-transparent-hd-png-download

Bulk Order Discounts

Does your church, synagogue, school, book club, or company need to order 10 or more copies of a book for a group read or special event? Order from Loganberry and receive a discount! We can even deliver to your location free of charge! Contact elisabeth@logan.com for more details!

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455
▪ Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
▪ Bookshop.org: Buy almost any book in print, have them shipped directly to you from the warehouse, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
▪ Loganberry Curated Reads: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
▪ Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
▪ Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm.
▪ Social Media: **Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and the Loganberry Blog.**
Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
Bookshop.org: Buy almost any book in print, have them shipped directly to you from the warehouse, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
Loganberry Curated Reads: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm.
Social Media: **Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and the Loganberry Blog.**

Read along with Loganberry booksellers for Women's History Month!

Click any title below to purchase a book for mailing or in-store pickup

bird-isabella

Harriett recommends A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains by Isabella Bird: "Take a trek through the Rocky Mountains with this collection of letters written by Englishwoman Isabella Bird to her sister Henrietta in 1873. Traveling mostly solo on horseback, the rugged trail is always a challenge, rewarded by the views and the characters she meets. Living for a couple months in Estes Park, Colorado, the story gets more interesting with a steady cast of characters, including the notorious but intriguing one-eyed desperado 'Mountain Jim,' with whom Bird finds a welcome camaraderie."

9781250829788

Cara recommends The Copenhagen Trilogy by Tove Ditlevsen: "This memoir of a Danish poet is one of the my favorite books. Despite the fact the older of the three parts was written in 1967, I found Ditlevsen's struggles to be relatable to my own; it brings up so many feelings about being a woman, a daughter, a partner. I found that while reading The Copenhagen Trilogy I could see parts of me reflected back, which is such a gift! I could not recommend this memoir more."

9780593545850

Devon recommends Black Sheep by Rachel Harrison: "My favorite user review for this book is a one-star rating and reads 'Hot Topic Satanism.' To the undiscerning reader, it could be misunderstood as another ‘Satanic Panic’-esque novel. But beneath the surface, Black Sheep is a satirical criticism of the rise and popularity of religious extremist cults. It addresses how the victims of these cults often have to endure emotional manipulation even after they’ve distanced themselves from the organization. (And especially if your parents are the leaders…)"

9781640095793

Elisabeth recommends A Woman of Pleasure by Kiyoko Murata, translated by Juliet Winters Carpenter: "Have you been looking for a novel where all characters are current or former sex workers, with a plot driven by found family and labor organizing, in which indigenous spiritual paradigms wield great liberatory power? Good news: this wonderful novel, Murata's first to be translated into English, just published this week!"

9781647425401

Wendy recommends Bessie by Linda Kass: "In August 1945, just months after Americans learned of the horrors of the Holocaust, Bess Myerson became the first (and only) Jewish woman to be crowned Miss America. Linda Kass' novel fills in the blanks of Myerson's early years and provides a moving portrait of this musically- and intellectually-gifted young woman and her quest to make a name for herself."

9781571313966

Sarah recommends The Quickening: Creation and Community at the Ends of the Earth by Elizabeth Rush: "This is a journalist's memoir of her voyage on a ship bound for Thwaites, an enormous glacier in the Antarctic, where scientists hope to do test how quickly climate change is affecting us. Along with strong narrative story-telling, fascinating details, and interviews with the scientists and crew, are Rush’s thoughts about becoming pregnant, and how her own choice to have a child might (or might not) be a good idea in a world affected by global warming."

9781982117030

Toni recommends Eat Your Mind: The Radical Life and Work of Kathy Acker by Jason McBride and Pussy, King of the Pirates by Kathy Acker: "Take an adventurous dive into postmodern women's history. Kathy Acker was one of the most important experimental American writers of the 20th Century - queer, postpunk, equally revered and reviled, and fierce in her commitment to expanding what writing might be. Jason McBride's biography presents Acker's rebellious life and work as a window into countercultural & literary history. He is in the reverential crowd, but also doesn't shy from some of the problematic parts of her thinking. Pussy, King of the Pirates, one of Acker's later works, blends Treasure Island and The Story of O into a fractured postmodern pirate grrrl epic."

Coming next month:

Book recommendations for National Poetry Month

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries

▪ Open Mon-Wed, Fri-Sat: 10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
▪ Masks recommended
▪ It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!
Open Mon-Wed, Fri-Sat: 10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
Masks recommended
It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!

Like   Tweet