From: Loganberry Books <loganberrybooks.gmail.com@bounces.cloud.em.secureserver.net>
Subject: Loganberry News February 2024
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 17:30:21 +0000
To: <harriett@logan.com>
Loganberry News February 2024

shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News February 2024

Leapin' Leap Year!

Coming into the sophomore month of 2024 feeling like senior spring — but don’t be fooled by the weather: there’s still work to be done! Help us preserve American history through modern microfiche transcription on Douglass Day, and stick around for chocolate and guitar at our signature Valentines event. Share the great Black authors you're reading with us (#BroadenYourBookshelf2024) and celebrate victory over your personal trolls with local hero Connie Schultz! Check out our customer-led discussion groups this month, too! We’re here for all of it.

Author Events

Lola and the Troll Cover

Book Launch

Connie Schultz: Lola and the Troll
Friday, February 9, 6pm
~in-store~
Pulitzer Prize-winning writer Connie Schultz comes to Loganberry to talk about bringing Lola to life and will sign copies of her debut picture book, Lola & the Troll. If you're a Connie Schultz fan, you're invited--with or without the children in your life!

Connie Schultz is a Pulitzer Prize-winning writer and a professional-in-residence at Kent State. She lives in Cleveland with her husband, Senator Sherrod Brown.

Can't make it to the event but want a signed copy? Order here for later pickup or shipping!

9780691229843

Author Talk & Multimedia Presentation

Britt Bunyard: The Lives of Fungi
Friday, February 16, 7pm
~in-store~
You're invited to a free--and lavishly illustrated!--multimedia presentation by nationally renowned mycologist Britt Bunyard on his new book The Lives of Fungi. Bring all your burning fungal questions--no expertise is required!

Britt Bunyard, PhD is the Founder, Publisher, and Editor-in-Chief of the mycology journal Fungi. He has worked academically as a mycologist his entire career and served as an editor for research journals and guide books. Britt has been featured on All Things Considered, NOVA and in The Atlantic, Vox, Vogue, Forbes, and other magazines and newspapers.

Want a signed copy but can't make it to the event? Order a signed copy here!

Book Clubs & Discussion Groups

walden

Naturalist's Notebook

Henry David Thoreau: Walden
Sunday, February 11, 1pm
~in-store or online~
As we begin our 8th year of Naturalist's Notebook, it seems a good time to read (or reread) WALDEN by Henry David Thoreau. It's a book you pick up at all ages to explore themes of immersion in nature, spiritual quest, and the elusive (and ambiguous) goal of "self-reliance."

Join us at Loganberry or register here to receive a virtual event link.

evelyn-hardcastle-cover

For the Thrill of Lit

7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton
Thursday, February 15, 7pm
~in-store and online~
Evelyn Hardcastle will be murdered at 11p.m.There are eight days, and eight witnesses for you to inhabit. We will only let you escape once you tell us the name of the killer. Understood? Then let's begin...

Join us in store or register here for the Zoom link!

Buy a copy of the book for 10% off!

UP NEXT:
March 21 - Queer Book Club: Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman

100yrs-solitude

Magical Realism Book Club

Gabriel Garcia Marquez: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Thursday, February 15, 7pm
~in-store~
Welcome to a new book club exploring modern classics of Magical Realism! We'll meet every other month for an initial three meetings, led by community member Nathan Klainer. All are welcome to join for one or all meetings!

We'll kick off with One Hundred Years of Solitude by Nobel Prize winner Gabriel Garcia Marquez, which traces the rise and fall, birth and death of the mythical town of Macondo through the history of the Buendiá family. Get a copy for 10% off this month at Loganberry!

NEXT UP:
April 18: Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

rebelreaders

Rebel Readers

Quartez Harris: We Made It To School Alive
Sunday, February 18, 3pm
~in-store, 3rd Sundays~
Join hosts Dahlia Fisher & Felicia Haney, women from different backgrounds with shared values, lifting the voices of authors writing at the intersections of race, religion, culture, sexuality through a variety of genres.

In February, we honor Black History Month with Poets Against Racism & Hate (PARH) and by reading We Made It to School Alive by Quartez Harris, a PARH USA member. All are welcome!

9780593652961

Democracy Awakening Discussion Group

Three February Thursdays at 4pm
Feb 15, Feb 22, Feb 29
~in-store~
Community member Anne Salsich will lead a discussion group "mini-series" about Heather Cox Richardson's bestselling book Democracy Awakening at Loganberry for three consecutive Thursdays in February. Anyone is welcome to join some or all of the conversations--no RSVP required.

Each discussion will cover one of the book's three parts:
Feb 15: Part I. Undermining Democracy
Feb 22: Part II. The Authoritarian Experiment
Feb 29: Part III. Reclaiming America

Click here to buy a copy of Democracy Awakening for 10% off!

9780316492928

Murmurations Yoga Book Club

Clint Smith: How the Word is Passed
Friday, March 1, 6pm
in-person at Abide: 13001 Larchmere Blvd
Our neighbors at Abide Yoga (2 doors down from us on Larchmere) host Murmurations, a monthly hybrid yoga class and book club, and we offer participants 10% off featured titles!

How the Word Is Passed by Clint Smith is a sweeping exploration of the many ways the Transatlantic Slave Trade continues to haunt the US landscape--from monuments to prisons, and everywhere in between.

Register for the book club and yoga class

Order a copy of the book from Loganberry for mailing or store pickup for 10% off.

Community Arts & Culture

WRLC Leopold

Western Reserve Land Conservancy Event

Buddy Huffaker: "Aldo Leopold, the Land Ethic, and A Sand County Almanac: The Making of an American Classic"
Wednesday, February 7, 6pm
~online~
In celebration of the 75th anniversary of Aldo Leopold’s book A Sand County Almanac, the Western Reserve Land Conservancy will welcome Buddy Huffaker, the Executive Director of the Aldo Leopold Foundation for his presentation "Aldo Leopold, the Land Ethic, and A Sand County Almanac: The Making of an American Classic."

Order A Sand County Almanac from Loganberry.

The in-person event is sold out, but register here to watch live on Zoom. The talk will also be recorded and available on WRLC's YouTube channel.

broadsides-lg

Broadsides & Ephemera

Featured Reader: Daniel Brown
Thursday, February 8, 7pm
~in-store; second Thursdays~
Daniel Brown was raised in New York City, studied musical composition and musicology at Cornell University, and taught music history and theory at Cornell and Dartmouth College. His poems have appeared in Poetry, Partisan Review, PN Review, Raritan, Parnassus, The New Criterion and other journals, as well as a number of anthologies.

We hope you'll join us for this special reading and literary gathering, free and open to all.

Frederick Douglass c1860s

Douglass Day

Wednesday, February 14, 12-4pm
~in-store and online~
Each year, we celebrate the chosen birthday of Frederick Douglass on February 14th as Douglass Day. We join forces with other volunteers around the world to transcribe the Library of Congress' Black history and culture archives, helping to make them more accessible.

Douglass Day 2024 will feature the correspondence of Frederick Douglass from 1841-1912. Bring your laptop or tablet; we'll supply wifi, step by step instructions, and camaraderie!

Brian-Henke

Valentine's Night

Wednesday, February 14, 7-9pm
~annual, in-store~
Do you yearn for a romantic date night at Loganberry Books? You’re in luck: Valentine's Day is our official date night! Bring a date (or a friend, or your own special self) to enjoy a faux-candle-lit, book-lined concert by guitar maestro Brian Henke, with complimentary chocolate and wine. It’s quite the vibe! We'll also offer free and bargain-priced “blind-date books” all day to encourage you to take a chance on something new.

nobs-logo-xs

NOBS Forum

Book Collecting 101 with Norman Graubart
Thursday, February 22, 7pm
~in-store and online~
Interested in book collecting but have no idea where to begin? Or, perhaps you are looking to up your collecting game? Norman Graubart, proprietor of the Cleveland Book Company, is here to help you learn where to start.

If you prefer, you can join us via Zoom
Meeting ID: 843 0957 3879
Passcode: 302371

image1

Broaden Your Bookshelf 2024

~online~
Join us on Instagram for the virtual relaunch of our Broaden Your Bookshelf reading challenge! We'll offer one prompt per month on social media. You post your books and reviews, tag us, and use our hashtag #BroadenYourBookshelf24. Find out about great new book recommendations and enjoy surprises and some small prizes along the way!

February prompt: Black Joy! Pick up a book that focuses on joyful expressions of Black history, culture, relationships, and selfhood. Show us what you pick using the #BroadenYourBookshelf24 hashtag!

Sales, Specials, and FYIs

download

On Sale This Month

Celebrate Black History Month with 20% off all books in our African American adult nonfiction section. You'll find everything from new releases and hard-to-find vintage treasures, to biography and history, sociology, and memoir.

cropped-new-willow-logo

Small Press Focus

Willow Books, founded in 2007 in Detroit, is the flagship imprint of Aquarius Press, dedicated to creating opportunities for writers of color. They publish poetry and memoir, often in partnership with significant organizations, such as Cave Canem, Split This Rock, and the Before Columbus Foundation. Willow's most recent titles include a retrospective of 2023 American Book Award winning poet Edward Hoagland, a memoir by Cambodian-American opera librettist Sokunthary Svay, and an anthology of the Black Arts Movement with a foreword by Ishmael Reed.

image0

Gift Card Drawing

We're close to a special Instagram milestone we'd like to have you help us reach! From now until we hit 10,000 followers on IG, you can ask your friends to follow @loganberrybooks for a chance for you BOTH to win a $10 Loganberry gift card!

HOW TO ENTER:
Tag a friend in the comments of this pinned post and mention a book you both loved. Repeat with as many different friends as you like!

Entries will close once we hit 10K followers, at which point we will randomly select one comment. If both the original poster and the tagged account are followers, they'll both win a $10 gift card! Good luck! Get tagging!

John Henry

Collectible Books

This pristine first edition of John Henry by Julius Lester, illustrated by the great Jerry Pinkney would be a gem in any collection of African American Children's literature or folk stories. It won a Caldecott Honor and a smattering of other awards, but Pinkney didn’t clinch the Caldecott Medal until 6 years later with The Lion & The Mouse.

Browse our ever-expanding collectible listings here, or email wendy@logan.com for a personalized suggestion for any budget!

64fdc0cd84df37be08c4f9926cf9faca

Used Book Buying

We're back to used book buying on Mondays and Fridays!

Please call us before you come in. As usual, we offer cash or 20% more in store credit for used and collectible books that we deem saleable, and you'll need to take away any we decline to purchase. More details about our buying procedures here. We look forward to seeing your treasures!

469-4698575 tall-stack-of-books-transparent-hd-png-download

Bulk Order Discounts

Does your church, synagogue, school, book club, or company need to order 10 or more copies of a book for a group read or special event? Order from Loganberry and receive a discount! We can even deliver to your location free of charge! Contact elisabeth@logan.com for more details!

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455
▪ Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
▪ Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
▪ Loganberry Curated Reads: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
▪ Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
▪ Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm.
▪ Social Media: **Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and the Loganberry Blog.**
Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
Loganberry Curated Reads: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm.
Social Media: **Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and the Loganberry Blog.**

Read along with Loganberry booksellers for Black History Month!

Click any title below to purchase a book for mailing or in-store pickup

9780316353229

Harriett recommends BIG by Vashti Harrison: "The first Black woman to win the Caldecott Medal does so in a BIG way. (BIG also won Coretta Scott King Honors for both Illustrator and Author). Colors and words are palpably real in this story about an unnamed girl's relationship with her growing body and the words used to describe it. Words change their meaning over time, like traitors. The protagonist learns to play with the physical constructs of the book itself, pushing the gutter and breaking into a glorious gatefold. She then picks up the words used to hurt her, and hands them back to the offenders. And by learning self-love, she wins big. (Please note: This just-awarded Caldecott Medal book is currently out of stock, but it'll be back in stock very soon!)"

9780062498540

Cara recommends The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas: "The story of 16-year-old Starr Carter, a girl who witnesses police brutality against someone she loves, has already established itself as a modern classic. I found myself crying, cheering, and waiting with bated breath to see how Starr not only survives this horrific act, but continually finds strength within herself."

9781641608374

Devon recommends All These Sunken Souls by Circe Moskowitz: "A visceral collection of new Black horror stories, aimed at younger fans. From Hoodoo to slashers to otherwordly monsters, there's something in the collection for fans of any horror genre!"

9780802159298

Elisabeth recommends A Visitation of Spirits by Randall Keenan: "I stumbled upon this book at the library about 2 years ago while looking for something else, and I don't think a week has gone by since when I don't think about it. Protagonist Horace Cross' Dark Night of the Soul is something many of us who grew up queer and loving a God we feared could never love us back recognize in our bones."

9781620971932

Julie recommends The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander: "This landmark work of scholarship is all about how Black people are segregated into the U S prison system and how this affects Black communities as they get sucked into a institutionalized lower caste. A disturbing but brilliant book."

61o7oTX4NbL. AC UF1000 1000 QL80

Wendy recommends The Splinter In the Sky by Kemi Ashing-Giwa: "Enitan, a lowly scribe and aspiring tea expert, becomes a political operative when her sibling is kidnapped by the Empire that has colonized their planet. This captivating debut science fiction novel tackles big themes of occupation, race, class, and gender."

516czjGEgjL. SY445 SX342

Freddy recommends HOME PLACE: Memoir of a Colored Man's Love of Nature by J. Drew Lanham: "J. Drew Lanham's memoir is much about place as it is about birding. His love of nature and conservation grew out of his own 'home place,' a family farm in South Carolina. Lanham shares his passion for ornithology while also talking about birding as a Black man. It's a book about family history, geography, nature, and race that in the end reminds us, 'home, after all, is more than a place on a map. It’s a place in the heart.'"

9780062982650

Leigh recommends When No One Is Watching: "This psychological thriller about gentrification in Brooklyn builds tension until the action-packed and paranoia-inducing climax! I read the second half in a single sitting while periodically announcing aloud how awesome it was. Full of important historical tidbits and great characters, Alyssa Cole’s first foray into the mystery/thriller genre is an A+ effort. (and don't miss her next mystery, One of Us Knows, out 4/16/24!)

9781250250285

Adrienne recommends The Parking Lot Attendant by Nafkote Tamirat: "A young girl living quietly in Boston with her father becomes acquainted (and casually infatuated) with a parking lot attendant, Ayale. At once mysterious and ubiquitous, Ayale is the irresistible "unofficial King" of the Ethiopian community in Boston. Our young unnamed narrator becomes quickly enmeshed in his life, involved in his schemes, victim to their repercussions. An exhilarating reminder of the youthful infatuation and devotion that kept so many of us company on our journeys to figuring out who we were going to be."

9781419756344

Toni recommends Black Friend by Ziwe: "On her show and social media, Ziwe's deadpan comedic persona takes devastating, hilarious aim at America's perpetual blindness to racism and sexism, even--and especially--in the age of woke. In this book, Ziwe lets down her mask (a bit) and allows us to see how her own experiences as a child of West African immigrants who grew up in mostly white spaces, and as an ambitious millennial - helped hone her cultural insight and keen sense of the absurd. Light reading, with a sharp edge, and great footnotes."

Coming next month:

Book recommendations for Women's History Month

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries

▪ Open Mon-Wed, Fri-Sat: 10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
▪ Masks recommended
▪ It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!
Open Mon-Wed, Fri-Sat: 10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
Masks recommended
It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!

Like   Tweet