From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry June bugs!
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 18:33:39 -0400
To: <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Salutations!

We're gearing up for an exciting summer.  Construction projects (air conditioning! shelving!) not withstanding, we have a giant street festival planned for the end of the month, several book signings, and lots of books....  Plenty of good summer reading, too!

Exciting recent acquisitions

  • the juvenile classic Heidi by Johanna Spyri....  in a multitude of various illustrated editions
  • lots of books on mushrooms and gardening
  • more music books than we can shelve... biography, history, etc.
  • fine classical cds, most just $5 per disc
  • a plethora of good literature and literary biographies
  • early (very early) sci-fi classics in facsimile editions
  • an all-new selection of 93-cent star cart specials
Book Signings
69 at 90Mort Epstein:
Sixty Nine Years of Design at Ninety
Saturday, June 9, 1-3pm
A new book on local designer, Mort Epstein: Sixty Nine Years of Design at Ninety,  traces the evolution of Epstein’s visual style from the 1940s through the 1980s in hundreds of logos, annual reports, book designs, furniture, wood turnings, and murals for corporate, industrial and not-for-profit organizations.  Epstein is locally known as the founder of the graphic design firm that still bears his name, Epstein Design Partners Inc., which is currently located right next door to Loganberry Books, and which designed and produced the book.  Mort is also the father of Gene Epstein, who works at Strong Bindery, right here in the same building as Loganberry.  On a wider scale, Mort has left an indelible mark on Cleveland with his murals, bicentennial Cleveland exhibits, and recognizable logos.  An exhibit of the same name just closed at the ACLU, but if you missed that, you can come to the booksigning to talk with Mort and get a signed copy of his lavishly illustrated self-published book.

Peskin Perry Peskin: The Search for Lost Habitats
Saturday, June 16, 1-3pm
With over 450 color slides of flora from Lake Erie dunes to the Ohio River, and from the Great Lakes into Canada, this journalistic, easy to read, and often humorous narrative will appeal to home gardeners, professional botanists, naturalists, and anyone who enjoys a good yarn about adventures in the natural world. Perry Peskin is a retired English teacher who has called NE Ohio home for over 50 years, and has contributed to the Explorer Magazine, Wildflower Magazine and The Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month

Stump the BooksellerT386: Teddy bears, Giggly, Wiggly, Mumity
What I am looking for is a vintage story book- I don't know how old, but at least 1950's, if not earlier. There are color illustrations of teddy bears on a merry-go-round, playing in water, eating at a picnic. I can remember three of the character's names, Giggly and Wiggly (girl bears), and their mom, Mumity (British?). The book was large, maybe 14" or so...? x about 10".  All the bears have little outfits on, and I seem to remember there were little mice with them most of the time. Any ideas??? Thanks!

N.O.B.S. Forums
Show and Tell Session
Thursday, June 21, 7pm
~ third Thursdays ~
YOU are invited to bring your biblio treasures and tell us their stories!  Where did they come from, what makes them special, have you ever seen illustrations like this?  We'll each share some gems, and gain some knowledge from the collective group.  With book collectors, librarians, afficianados, dealers, bookbinders, and historians in the group, it will be more than an "Antiques Roadshow" experience, as we'll learn about the history, bibliographies, biographies, and values of the books, and put the book into its cultural history context. So bring your gems from the attic, garage sale curios, and prized possessions.  Learn a little, teach a tad. Suggested Donation:  $3

Bloomsday Book Club
Saturday, June 16, 7pm
Instead of our usual book club meeting devoted to the reading of James Joyce's Ulysses, we will celebrate the official Bloomsday (June 16, 1904) at one of Cleveland's most revered James Joyce sites: Nighttown.  Named after the Dublin Red-Light District in Ulysses, Nighttown possesses the ambiance of old Irish pubs.  Join us for dinner and conversation, reservations required (call Harriett 216-795-9800).

Larchmere Events
flea marketLarchmere Flea Market & Festival
Saturday, June 30, 11am-5pm

The dozens of merchants on Larchmere join forces with invited antiques dealers, vintage and specialty vendors, local artists, and community residents for a huge sales extravaganza all along Larchmere Boulevard.  We'll have entertainment too: musicians, Flower Clown, and the Euclid Beach Rocket Car!  Portobello Road Antiques Fair meets the Burton Flea Market, with a dose of Ingenuity.  It's our biggest event of the season, and at Loganberry we'll feature specials of all varieties throughout the store, on the sidewalk and driveway, as well as the Annex Gallery.  Visit the website for up-to-date details.  See you there!

peace,
Harriett

Loganberry Books
13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800
Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; most Thursdays 'til 8pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/

Image
Image
Image