From: Harriett Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Valentine's Night at Loganberry Books
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 10:48:00 -0500
To: loganberrynews@logan.com <loganberrynews@logan.com>

Salutations!

Date night at Loganberry!  Join us on Valentine's Night for wine and truffles, a quiet evening with fine books, and the virtuoso guitarwork of Brian Henke.  What could be more relaxed and romantic?  Treats courtesy of our fine neighbors at the Larchmere Tavern.

Recent Expansions

We’ve been rearranging and expanding some sections here at Loganberry.  Here are some of our exciting new changes.

·         Expanded shelving for sports and games, including yoga, pilates, tons of Chess books, crossword puzzles, Sudoku and KenKen

·         Increased space for poetry, including an excellent collection of Irish poetry

·         An improved and expanded section for American Culture & Politics (everything fromWilliam Buckley Jr. to Sarah Vowell), plus more room for state-by-state

·         Beautiful new cards from Brian Andreas, Patience Brewster, Pondering Pool and old favorites Pomegranate, Palm Press, Great Arrow and Notes & Queries

·         More cookbooks, more cookbooks, and yet more cookbooks

·         An expanded section for philosophy and religion (still underway as I write this)

·         A display section for New York Times Bestsellers, numbered 1 through 10, and offered at 20% off.  Yeah, we know this isn’t an original idea, but we thought you might have lost some your usual haunts for these things

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month

an illustrated children's book (possibly australian) about a boy and girl and possibly parents (i dont think any of them had any hair) who have an automated house. They are woken up by their beds, washed by a bathroom machine, food prepared by robots etc. They then go to the moon and go on various rides, antigravity room, ride on the rings. they would eat moon treats like big coloured candyfloss. Then they came home and their bbq robot had made them a big feast. Book may have been early 80s and may be called something along the lines of "lunar park".

Annex Gallery
Gene Epstein & Joel Hauserman: Outscapes
Opening Reception: Thursday, February 3, 6-8pm
~ first Thursdays ~

Photographer Joel Hauserman and painter Gene Epstein have admired each other's work for many years.  This February's Annex Gallery show is the first time the two artists have exhibited side by side.  Experience what fine art photography and oil-on-canvas landscapes have to say to each other.  Show continues through February 28.

Gene's Jazz Hot

Gene's Jazz Hot
Thursday, February 10, 7-9pm

~ second Thursdays ~

Please join us as consummate musicians Gene Epstein, Bill Kenney and Seth Rosen strike up some old tunes and make the happy dance in your veins.  Guest artists often join the band, and there's room for dancing.  Did I mention dancing?  On Friday February 4, vocalist Peggi Cella will rejoin the group for a special performance with the CWRU Swing Dance Club.  InfoDonations for the band appreciated.

N.O.B.S. Forums

Gary Esmonde & Wendy Wasman: Books and Native Plants
Thursday, February 17, 7pm
~ third Thursdays ~
The NOBS group joins forces with the Native Plant Society for a talk of interest to both parties.  Gary Esmonde, Librarian at Cleveland Botanical Garden, will guide us across the terrain of introductory Ohio flora books to collectors’ items in the very special collections of the Eleanor Squire Library. Wendy Wasman, Librarian of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, will share some botanical treasures from the Museum's rare book collection Suggested Donation $3.

Classics Club
Gustave Flaubert: Madame Bovary

Thursday, February 24, 7 pm

~ fourth Thursdays ~

Madame Bovary follows the saga of a well-meaning country doctor and his beautiful and well-bred wife, Emma, whose unrealistic expectations of love and marriage lead to her tragic undoing.  Gustave Flaubert’s masterpiece has often been described as a “perfect work of fiction.”

Other events at Loganberry this month includes a meeting on February 1st with the Novel Club of Cleveland, one of the oldest book clubs in the nation. This Friday we get a visit from David Moss and the FOX 8 team for a feature on Larchmere that should be aired on February 23rd.  On February 15th, we have a meeting here with the Cleveland Women Advancing Women group of business owners.  And, most exciting, I get to be a judge at Hathaway Brown’s writing competition, The Power of the Pen, on February 12th.  February is a happening month in Cleveland!

peace,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

On Twitter: @loganberrybooks   On Facebook: loganberrybooks

Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; Thursday 'til 8pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image001.jpg
Image